Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

my 2004 was running fine, when I stopped i was setting there before I shut it down and it started running rough and died. It turned over but would not fire. I checked the bleed screw and primed. no help, a guy in the parking lot with another truck, sprinkled gas on the air cleaner, it started right up but did not run .
I changed the fuel filter and it started and would run but would not run, I limped it home would not run over 2000 rpm.

I checked the wiring where it rubs the alt. look ok, I was trying to check the connection to the injectors and found the ground strap from the fire wall to the motor was severed, I fixed the ground and it started and seemed to run, It went up the street just fine, then in the driveway started to run rough and died.

now it starts but runs rough and dies, really rough,

any thoughts thanks

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Sounds similar to mine when the injector harness was loose. Have you tried the ice pick trick?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
working on the ice pick when the sun comes up, started to and found the ground wire and then the power went out last night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
go to Auto Zone they will read the codes for free.

NEVER put any kind of fuel in the air side of the motor. It will run away and go BOOM. It would be cheaper to call a tow truck then to replace a motor. NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks,

I will never do it again....

Can not drive the truck was hoping for a cheep reader to buy and read codes here.

thanks again no fuel ever....

·
Banned
1,914 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

codes

1- P0642 Voltage A Circuit low
2-P1404 EGR closed position

any input

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upside on the Gas in the air filter--- started but did not rev... guess I got lucky,

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Recheck the harness--- you cannot see the problem, unless you cut the Zip tie and inspect all the wires. Insulate anyway, even if it looks OK.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I'm worried now

re installed the fuel filter resealed the bleed wiggled things kicked the tire and it started right up and runs, drove around the block pulled beyond 2000 rpm. started up again after I shut it off.... Hate it when things work the selves out with out finding out why, or what happened, and if it is really fixed...

·
Registered
362 Posts
That is exactly how the Injector Harness problem acts. It will come and go. At least it did for me. Until I fixed the issue it would run great for weeks at a time then all of a sudden would start acting up and go into limp mode.
I would still check the harness at the alternator bracket and re insulate the wires. Mine was just a pin size rub through that was causing all the issues. I hardly noticed it.
Put a piece of rubber hose on the edge of the alternator bracket to make sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks I will

If things come back I will let everyone know

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had this problem last week. I put the radiator hose on the bracket and ice picked #2 and #7 and have not had the problem since. Have driven probably 500 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what kind of milage are you getting with what mods.

I am stock, but getting 12.5 ish city/hwy with a best in the mid 14's with the trailer only drops to 11 ish

not that much of a lead foot, what will help the most.

a bit of a larger tire, not big

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im getting 14 to 15 in town and about 18 on the highway (70mph). If I get up to 75 and 80 i get about 16. Pulling a small trailer ill get 15. My gooseneck with a load Ill get 10 to 11. Not being aggressive. When my truck went into limp mode I got about 7.
I maybe got a .5 mpg when i installed the mouthpiece. Noticed a increase in power and its an easy install.
I didn't notice anything with the 4" exhaust and AFE Stage II intake. But I'm sure it was a good thing to do. I'm sure it lowered my EGT and will set me up for my future mods.
I attempted to order my down pipe and egr delete from profab but was a little late yesterday. I also attempted to order EFIlive but work held me up.
Ill install the down pipe and check the mpg and hp gains after that. Then ill install the EFIlive and recheck. Probably will be next weekend before i get all the stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is Ill try to locate it. On the lly the connectors on injectors lose contact at cylinders #2 (drivers front) and #7 (pass rear). You can push an ice pick through the areas on the plug that make contact with the injector. I'm kinda new here so it might take me a few minutes to locate the pictures I used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
This is on another forum called diesel place. If you are not a member you will have to register. afk911 addressed this problem for me in the performance upgrades forum under the thread Suggestions on upgrades. Hope it helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts