Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i have posted on here numerous times about a little problem im having with my truck. So, my third opion at the dealer says "they all smoke like that with age". I haven't seen 1. I have, i think, excessive smoke out of my blow-by. They say it's ok. But, is it really? They say i don't have head issue or injectors that it runs fine. This truck is all stock at the moment and im thinking about a programmer and cold air intake, but i don't want to screw anything up that's my fault. So, does anyone out there have an older lb7 and smokes out the blow by?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Got a 02 at work with 325k on it and no smoke what all tests did they do. Oil analysis? Compression check? Somethin isn't right there

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vision test on oil, it looks good, no leaks of any kind. Did not do a rate test on injectors.(replaced 1300 mi ago) I really don't think they hooked any thing up to it except my check book.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It all depends on how they were run and maintained. My winter truck (in my sig) does not have blow by at 126,000 miles, but I have changed the oil every 2500 miles since it was new. Blow by indicates compression getting into the crankcase, usually caused by bad piston rings or a scored cylinder wall. Could also be valves. Compression test would tell you. Did you buy this truck new or used? If new, you should have a better idea than the mechanic if it should be doing it or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have 240,000 on mine and no blow by

·
Registered
839 Posts
You should def take it to a good diesel shop and have a oil analysis and a compression check done they can't tell you its fine if the haven't done that

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, compression test. You would have thought that they would have done that. You can't trust anyone... The truck is used and i am the 3rd owner..You know Tech, those symptoms i have heard before and the dealership of course said it's not none of those. So, do i try and make them pay for it or am i out another $110.00?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i got the shop foreman to ride with me today with his scanner...We found out that i have a bad injector pump and mass air sensor...Why didn't they scan it last week? Dumb*sses. Injectors look really good he says. So, now all i need is some cash.....$2100 at dealer and $1700 at local diesel shop..

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would still want to see a compression test. And it pisses me off being a mechanic, that there are so many slouch, scab mechanics out there that are willing to lie, cheat and screw people out of their hard earned money.

·
Registered
839 Posts
X2 it gets to be a grind after a while I only really enjoy it when I'm diagnosing and kn owing that I'm fixing it right unlike some that would just rather throw it together. I'm really not seeing the connection between ur injector pump and all that blow by

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
i seen a 6.0 Powerstroke likethat at 80k miles it was horrible and the rings and cyl walls were shot due to a big tune.

·
Registered
785 Posts
X2 it gets to be a grind after a while I only really enjoy it when I'm diagnosing and kn owing that I'm fixing it right unlike some that would just rather throw it together. I'm really not seeing the connection between ur injector pump and all that blow by
Yea, I did not understand either.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree on the injector pump, no connection
Do a compression test

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shop foreman scanned it while i was towing about 3500lb. and said it was losing in the 100's of psi with no power. When you punch it, it takes a few seconds for the engine to kick in. He said there was prob too much fuel not getting burned quick enough and causing the access smoke... Monday will tell the tell. They said when they replace the pump and mass air sensor it should clear everything up with the right power. So, if it don't, well, you don't want to be around...

·
Registered
186 Posts
the only way to tell if its too much blow by is to hook a manometer up to it and check it that way. we had a international vt 365 (ford 6.0) that blew smoke out the blowby like a train. needless to say its getting a new engine with only 31000 miles on it :eek:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Shop foreman scanned it while i was towing about 3500lb. and said it was losing in the 100's of psi with no power. When you punch it, it takes a few seconds for the engine to kick in. He said there was prob too much fuel not getting burned quick enough and causing the access smoke... Monday will tell the tell. They said when they replace the pump and mass air sensor it should clear everything up with the right power. So, if it don't, well, you don't want to be around...
Put your personal distinctive mark or scratch on the pump and take a photo of that mark before you take it in. When you get to the dealer, tell them you want your old pump back. When you pick the truck up, check your pump to see if they gave you your pump or a shop core.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after deciding wheter to take the truck to a reputable dealer or save $400 at a local diesel shop, i went to dealer...$2160 later i have a truck that seems to run very good now. Looks to be little blow by, maybe fuel not burning. Oh, they found a fuel leak also in one of the metal lines so they got it welded instead of $400 for a new one. All together im pleased. So far.....Work done: New injector pump,mass air flow sensor and welding fuel line. Thanks for all the input guys its been helpfull.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep, that's the tube...I noticed some. It doesn't look like it's as bad as it was. Then again, just about 50% of the guys i talk to around here say as they age they will smoke.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts