Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, proud new owner here Of a 2007.5 silverado 2500hd CCSB! I'm loving it so far. My only nitpick is there is a small deadspot, probably around 5 degrees in either direction, in the steering. On the highways it's noticeable, since it's a bit tough to drive straight w one hand, since I feel I'm constantly correcting. Is this normal? The dealer says it's normal of a truck this size but I wanted to check with you guys as well. It has the stock rims/ suspension/ tire size. Tires are new Goodyear wranglers installed by the dealer. Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got the same issue most of the time...My alignment numbers are dead on, but it pulls to the right. Mechanic said it was the grade in the road, and that does seem to have an effect (The more grade, the more pull, etc.)

But get your alignment checked if you haven't already; you might be out of alignment.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I only notice this when at a stop and turning the steering wheel.
Never on the road.
285`s 17" Nittos

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's not normal with a stock truck. These trucks should drive straight and true with very little steering input. Any vehicle will follow the crown of the road, normally to the right, and require some correction but should respond immediately to any steering input by the driver. You probably have one or more worn steering components that should be replaced. Have an alignment shop check everything for wear and replace as needed.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
It is normal to have a tiny bit of "free play" in the steering-- but 5 degrees is not normal-- and in fact dangerous.

Try this-- have the engine running-and in park. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth-- just enough to take the freeplay out, while you check the front end for loose parts. First the steering pitman arm, idler arm and tierods-- The good parts will move, but the worn parts will stay still.

You could also have worn wheel bearings-- good idea to check those first. Jack the front up and try the move the wheel up and down at the 12--6 o:clock position.

Any worn part will magnify the looseness, and cause freeplay in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd look at your tires. I know a few guy with HD trucks that have had bad tires (new and changed under warranty) causing the truck to wander @ highway speeds. Change tires and the wander is gone. I have wrangler duratracs but never had wandering symtoms in them. It is an easy place to start.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The truck was in today for some warranty work (egr valve) with another dealer and the tech took it for a test drive and said it felt normal, and there was no abnormalities. So it seems it's just the way it's supposed to feel....

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The truck was in today for some warranty work (egr valve) with another dealer and the tech took it for a test drive and said it felt normal, and there was no abnormalities. So it seems it's just the way it's supposed to feel....

Try a rebuilt steering gear from Redhead, I'll bet your dead spot goes away after.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
there's a few things that could do this, but if you eliminated the suspension and alignment (sure your pitman/idler are good?), then I would next flush the hydroboost unit; that tightened mine right up! I was set to adjust the screw/locknut on the steering box and I'm glad that I tried the flush first.

Hope this helps,
Wally

1 - 13 of 13 Posts