Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, question for you all. My 2021 3500 tracks perfectly however I feel there is a bit more play in the steering wheel than there should be. Fairly large movements are needed to affect a steering change. Actually I don’t know if it’s normal or not. My dealer test drove my truck and they also thought there was a bit of excessive play and they offered to replace the gear box. They have already replaced the intermediate steering shaft with the newer model. Am I opening up a can of worms if I have them replace the gearbox? My truck tracks straight and really is nice to drive with the exception of the play in the steering wheel. i haven’t driven another newer truck. I sold my 2005 Duramax and actually both trucks steer about the same. I’m a bit afraid a new gear box may not be as tight as the one I presently have or that the new box will create new steering issues. Am I overthinking this? Would you let them change out your gear box or be happy with what you have?

Thanks very much. I always learn a great deal from this forum!

· Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Different model (4500 Hd) but same problem. Like herding cats. Dealer checked alignment, tire pressures etc.
GM had them change box and fixed the problem. All under warranty.

· Registered
81 Posts
I'd let the dealer replace the Steering Gear under warranty.

Dealer replaced my Steering Gear Box after they replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft the 1st time. Same symptoms you're describing; steering just wasn't "tight". The Steering Gear replacement helped, but I still had the "clunk" from the Intermediate Steering Shaft, so that got replaced a 2nd time with the latest revised version.

I still get a bit of "lane floating" when the road changes camber a bit. But I've convinced myself that's from the design of the GM steering linkage. I plan to install a SuspensionMaxx Steering Stabilizer kit and also the Cognito PISK kit. Hopefully soon.

· Registered
370 Posts
Hello Mtu Alum, I have a 2021 3500 LT Duramax Crew Cab standard box.

Thank you
You have base hydraulic steering system on your truck. The diesel engine variants of base hydraulic have the largest deadban of center. I have a feeling that what you feeling is the nature of the beast and the way the hydraulic valve was tuned. You can take it in and have it checked but I don't think there is much a dealer can do.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have base hydraulic steering system on your truck. The diesel engine variants of base hydraulic have the largest deadban of center. I have a feeling that what you feeling is the nature of the beast and the way the hydraulic valve was tuned. You can take it in and have it checked but I don't think there is much a dealer can do.
sent you a PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts