Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the fabtech tie rods that where on my truck when I bought it with another set of them. While installing them (which was quite simple) I was wondering if anyone has thought of or tried raising the sway bar up and turning the outer tie rod ends over to install in the top of the spindle? Just makes sense to me to straighten the angle in the already weakened steering apparatus. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Are you saying that your outer tie rods go in from the bottom???????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the way they where installed when I removed the old ones. If you turn them over they hit the sway bar when I load the suspension.

·
Registered
510 Posts
UM hold on ill post a pic, im confused

·
Registered
510 Posts
tierod.jpg

This??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. The inner hits the sway bar when I turn the wheel if I have it mounted through the top which I assume is why the original owner installed them through the bottom.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The hole is tapered, it has to go in from the top as far as I know, maybe someone else will chime in here hopefully.

I have never seen any tie rod end go in from the bottom before. Didnt even think it would go in. I maintain a fleet of over 30 duramaxes so ive seen one or two..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure man. Maybe the previous owner just screwed up. I might just grab a sixpack and head out to the shop and turn them over. Any ideas on how to stop them from hitting the sway bar? Truck has a leveling kit on it and super springs in the back sitting on 305/55-20's. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Man thats a good question. lol ill go look in a bit and see what I can come up with!!

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,906 Posts
They hit the sway bar because the front end is cranked up. Mine was this way until I dropped the front a little so it didn't sit nose-high anymore. I have just a slight rake to my truck now, but no more hitting the sway bar. Look at it this way, as you make front of the truck go up, the lower control arm must go down. Since the sway bar is connected to the LCA, it must also go down, putting it in the path of the steering system. Also, my Fabtech HD rods go in from the bottom as well. Doc, yours must have been flopped to the top because of the lift is the only thing I can think of

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I understand why just didn't know if I could fix it somehow. I am actually considering lengthening the sway bar links and having my fabricator buddy change the angle of the bar. I dont want to lower the front anymore with the super springs in the back because it rides dead level when I load it. fgbnnhnhnbhjnbbbbbbbzz (that was from my 17 month old daughter sitting in my lap)

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,906 Posts
Gettin her started on the computer early, huh? lol Yeah, the only way to get it to work would be to lengthen the link. I don't know what you'd run into trying to do that either, it may pivot things and make different angle where it might not be as sturdy, I don't know. If you try it, let us know the results, I bet there are LOTS of people that would like to know!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should have no prob lengthening your sway links as long as you use good material since it does get some good strain on hard corners.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Must be the lift then, wifes truck is the same as mine and I honestly thought they were all that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts