Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe it is the angle of the road but it always seems that i have to turn my steering wheel to the right. Never fails. i have stock tires. i have 125k miles on the truck. Any ideas? Allignment? my 07 6.0 silverado did the same thing and that had 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would check the ball joints and tie-rods, inner and outer. Something is probably worn out. Then it will be time for an allighnment.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will check that out this evening.
Thanks any other ideas...let me know!

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
IDK but mine pulls left too

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how would i tell if they are worn out...there will be play in the when i turn the wheel?

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
i took mine to the shop for an alignment and they always do a full front end check ball joints bearings and all...nothing is worn just pulls to the left IDK...I think it's the tires on mine

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jack the front end up. Then try to move the tire left and right, if it moves, one or both of the tie-rods may be worn. Then try to move the tire in and out, or put a bar under the tire and try to do this. If the tire moves, then one or both of the ball joints may be worn.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
check your idler arm mine about fell off at like 49k

·
Registered
89 Posts
some manufactures factor in the crown of the road but some dont not sure if gm does or not but if your used to driving a car that has this built into it then that is why it might feel like the alignment is jacked up. does it always pull right or does it vary with the road your driving on.

·
Registered
736 Posts
How much play in the steering wheel do you have? The front ends on our trucks suck so bad ugh it burns me up. I would think at that kind of mileage you better be prepared to start replacing front end parts left and right.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it pulls to the left. some roads it seems like it drives straight. so i have no idea...maybe it is the crown of the road?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there isnt any play in the steering wheel. that is what confuses me. Maybe replacing the ball joints would help? If i am going to have to, i would rather do them now than before they break.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If it only does it sometimes, then you have something that needs to be replaced down there. Do you have an inch or two of play in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sorry didn't see your answer. You still need to just get down there and check it out. Jack up one wheel at a time and check for movement. Check for movement at 12 and 6, cuz if there isn't any play in your steering wheel, it could be one or both hub bearings going bad. At 12 and 6 it should not have any play whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i will double check tonight if theres any play but i have checked before. That was the first thing i thought of. I am new at a lot of these things but not that new. if something needs to be replaced would to assume ball joints?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much are the hub bearings?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Timken's are probably the best replacements and are about $200 a piece. If you haven't replaced them yet, you'll probably find some play there.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so for $400, it would be a good idea anyway to change them eh?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My truck has 73,000 on it and the drivers side hub just had to be replaced and the idler arm and pitman arm are shot so defintly check them out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts