Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my rough country steering stabilizer. Put it on a few years ago and it feels terrible as of late. Been looking at Bilstein because I have them all around. Any thoughts on them? Any others worth mentioning?

Thanks!

Registered
I believe Suspension Maxx offers a steering stabilizer as well. I have the Pisk kit so install of a steering stabilizer isnt as easy without some modifications. I was pleased with how the Pisk kit tightened the steering up tho

Premium Member
I did both, the pisk kit first and then a couple of days later I welded a shock extender on for the stabilizer mount. I didn鈥檛 notice much difference with the stabilizer. If I had it to do over I would do the pisk and skip the stabilizer. Or at least wait for a while and see if I needed one later.

It is actually a Bilstein stabilizer.

Attachments

Registered
Well that makes me feel better about not having the stabilizer on there. I actually talked with the owner of suspension maxx about getting a bracket made to work with their kits with people that have a pisk kit installed as well. He told me to get a design made up for him so I drafted one up in AutoCad and send it to him, but i never heard anything back. Guess the amount of people needing that bracket wouldnt make up for the cost to R&D what i sent him.

Premium Member
Well that makes me feel better about not having the stabilizer on there. I actually talked with the owner of suspension maxx about getting a bracket made to work with their kits with people that have a pisk kit installed as well. He told me to get a design made up for him so I drafted one up in AutoCad and send it to him, but i never heard anything back. Guess the amount of people needing that bracket wouldnt make up for the cost to R&D what i sent him.
I can send you the other bracket if you want, I had to buy a pair. BDS makes a bracket but it leaves the stabilizer too high for the pisk. You can weld this on low enough for clearance. Let me know if you want it, you might change your mind later about having a stabilizer.

Attachments

Registered
I can send you the other bracket if you want, I had to buy a pair. BDS makes a bracket but it leaves the stabilizer too high for the pisk. You can weld this on low enough for clearance. Let me know if you want it, you might change your mind later about having a stabilizer.
yea man ill take it and try it out if you dont mind. Just PM me your info and i can cover shipping cost or whatever you want to do. I appreciate it

Registered

Premium Member
yea man ill take it and try it out if you dont mind. Just PM me your info and i can cover shipping cost or whatever you want to do. I appreciate it
I got it shipped out today, keep an eye out.

Premium Member

Registered
I don鈥檛 know if the years of our trucks make a difference, I was like you with Bilsteins on all 4 corners, so I went with the Bilstein steering stabilizer.
After a couple of days with my truck was consistently pulling to the left, I found that the Bilsteins have constant positive pressure causing this.
Bilsteins fix was to add another stabilizer on the opposite side so they can push against each other so it might go straight.
I had a better idea the Bilstein came off it was sent back for a refund, then I put on the Rancho Heavy Duty steering stabilizer with lifetime warranty.:wink2:

Reactions: mray and Sierraluva

Registered
I don鈥檛 know if the years of our trucks make a difference, I was like you with Bilsteins on all 4 corners, so I went with the Bilstein steering stabilizer.
After a couple of days with my truck was consistently pulling to the left, I found that the Bilsteins have constant positive pressure causing this.
Bilsteins fix was to add another stabilizer on the opposite side so they can push against each other so it might go straight.
I had a better idea the Bilstein came off it was sent back for a refund, then I put on the Rancho Heavy Duty steering stabilizer with lifetime warranty.:wink2:
That's some good info. I appreciate the insight.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rancho

I just put a Rancho 5000 stabilizer on my 2012 tonight. Haven鈥檛 driven it yet. The rebound feels more stiff than my older rough country. I don鈥檛 anticipate a whole new feel but I suspect it will be a bit better. I did however drive it briefly without a stabilizer at all. Ya I can never go back. It was very loose comparatively. I know I would really like a new pitman and idler arm and a pisk kit installed.

Reactions: D_R_C and CDmax16

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I love the Rancho stabilizer. It definitely feels more in control. Very smooth and positive feel. Doesn鈥檛 push me anywhere while driving. In fact I feel it tracks just a bit better.

Reactions: mray
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.