Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, I have a steering wheel shake when i apply the brakes softly. If i slam on the brakes or brake hard i have no steering wheel shake.
Heres what i have changed so far and nothing has worked
- Front rotors/pads
- idler/pitman arm
- wheels n tires

Im at a lost for what could be causing this. I had someone telling me that when you first apply the brakes the rears engage first and then the front. And that the steering wheel could be shaking due to my rear brakes being shot????
imma look at the rear of the truck today but that sounds odd to me

·
Registered
187 Posts
I see in your sig that your riding high with a big lift. Id say check that for tightness or anything loose in the frint end. Rear brakes shouldnt give you any feedback in your steering.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the EXACT same thing. I have been over EVERY nut and bolt and looked at every crossmember to see if there was something cracked. im just at a loss right now

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Have you checked ball joints and control arm bushings, I don't know if these will cause those symptoms but its something to check out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
idk if this is right but it might be ur rims n tires or needs an alignment, i just put 20x9 rbp's with 305 terra's on my otherwise stock truck, and on my way to get it aligned my wheel shook bad, its a lot better now but still a little, so you might have to align it or it just might be the tires. also when i was in high school some kids and i worked on my 1500 in shop class and they didn't tighten the lug nuts on one of my steer tires and that made it shake like a hooker in church

·
Registered
87 Posts
Need some help, I have a steering wheel shake when i apply the brakes softly. If i slam on the brakes or brake hard i have no steering wheel shake.
Heres what i have changed so far and nothing has worked
- Front rotors/pads
- idler/pitman arm
- wheels n tires
How long has the vibration been occuring? What order did you replace parts, or did you replace all at the same time? Did the vibration improve, stay the same, or become worse with the installation of new parts?

If the vibration only occurs when applying brake pressure then it is most likely something brake related. Checking the rear rotors would be the next logical step.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Check all the rotors especially the front. They can get a very slight warp which is accentuated by the lift.

Avalon

·
Registered
846 Posts
Diagnosis for front end shaking -

Inspect vehicle for worn/loose suspension components - replace as necessary
Road force balance all wheels - inspect for uneven wear
Inspect braking system for uneven wear
Machine all 4 rotors if within specifications

If vibration persists you could have bad hubs, axles, diffs, transfer case, yoke, or anything that spins when driving.

·
Registered
361 Posts
sub'd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has recently started doing this. Only when very light pressure is applied and vehicle is up to speed. It's like the rotors are warped but they aren't. It does it once in a while and as soon as you give it more pressure it stops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.