Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If any of you guys remember the intermediate steering shaft issue from the early 2000 GMs then you know what I'm talking about.

Seems like in low speed turns, more so to the right, I get this vibration in the wheel when I hit bumps. Say like manhole covers driving through my neighborhood. Even my wife noticed it the day we test drove the truck stock, the dealer said its all good, no problems. I let it go till I lifted the truck thinking if there was an issue the lift would surely resolve it... nope... still there. Already checked the general recall for the steering shaft and GM said my truck (2011) wasn't on it.

Is this just the nature of the 2500? I'm coming from a 02 Z71 Tahoe and an 05 2500 Yukon XL both 4x4. I supposed to drive with the service manager but if you don't want to feel it you wont... but both me AND my wife feel it all the time.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just clicked over 3k but my wife and I both felt it on the test drive at 23 miles. I took it back to the dealer before the lift, first week I had the truck, to look at it and they said its fine. I had hoped the lift would resolve it but it didn't. I'm just trying to figure out if its normal or not.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,864 Posts
This is definitly not normal. Go back to them with it, if they still fail to do anything about it, try another dealer. Unfortunatly, sometimes that what you have to do to get a problem fixed, some dealers are more 'sales oriented' than 'satisfaction oriented'

·
Registered
274 Posts
just clicked over 3k but my wife and I both felt it on the test drive at 23 miles. I took it back to the dealer before the lift, first week I had the truck, to look at it and they said its fine. I had hoped the lift would resolve it but it didn't. I'm just trying to figure out if its normal or not.
I felt mine do this too... And I know how it felt on the 06/07's... It's not loud clunk or rattle but I can feel it in the steering wheel... My truck has 5500 miles on it... I haven't taken it in yet...

·
Registered
956 Posts
ive got an 07 with 72k on it and i never got anything about a recall, is this something i should take in cause ive also got the same issue were it sounds like the shaft is gonna fall out from under the dash and ive got the vibration

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ive got an 07 with 72k on it and i never got anything about a recall, is this something i should take in cause ive also got the same issue were it sounds like the shaft is gonna fall out from under the dash and ive got the vibration
Yep, take it in and get the lube kit installed, will feel like a new truck after.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had and have what sounds like the same issue on my 2011. The dealer found the front brake calipers were loose. Seamed to help but the problem is back. Pretty annoying. I have complained to the dealer 3 times about it. I am hoping its not the steering shaft. I am verry familiar with the intermidiate steering shaft issues. I have several gm trucks. I just hoped they would have resolved the issue with the 11's.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had and have what sounds like the same issue on my 2011. The dealer found the front brake calipers were loose. Seamed to help but the problem is back. Pretty annoying. I have complained to the dealer 3 times about it. I am hoping its not the steering shaft. I am verry familiar with the intermidiate steering shaft issues. I have several gm trucks. I just hoped they would have resolved the issue with the 11's.
I was messing with the truck tonight... With nothing on, I can hit the steering wheel with the palm of my hand on the bottom and right side of the wheel and get the same feeling when hiting little bumps in the road... Try it and see if yours does it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took it in for another issue, pulling to the right when braking, and they found a sticky caliper but can't figure out why or where its sticking. I KNOW getting them to look at this vibration is going to be a nightmare. The worst part is... they gave me a 2012 Yukon Denali as a loaner and the steering on it is tight as a tick. Pretty crazy that a 1500 SUV has tighter and more sound steering than a 2500 4x4!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just took it in for another issue, pulling to the right when braking, and they found a sticky caliper but can't figure out why or where its sticking. I KNOW getting them to look at this vibration is going to be a nightmare. The worst part is... they gave me a 2012 Yukon Denali as a loaner and the steering on it is tight as a tick. Pretty crazy that a 1500 SUV has tighter and more sound steering than a 2500 4x4!!!!
Less weight helps that... But I agree, you would think the 2500 would have heavier duty parts...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Sorry to hear about this! Hopefully everything will run smoothly with your dealership. If you have any questions in the meantime, you can send me a PM with your VIN and I will look into it for you. Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2011 3500 4x4 LTZ and have felt this exact problem since brand new. The truck currently has over 25,000 miles on it...I've taken it to the dealership once already to complain about the issue to no prevail.

I knew this would be a nightmare as well because I had the same issue with my '07 (basically identical truck different year).

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what solutions are there???

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
@rprehoda, I have read your post. I can understand your frustration with your situation. You took you 2011 truck to the dealership for the vibration that you are experiencing in the steering wheel; were they not able to diagnose this for you? Were they not able to duplicate your complaint?

I would like to look into this for you, but I will need more information about this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
41 Posts
@rprehoda, I have read your post. I can understand your frustration with your situation. You took you 2011 truck to the dealership for the vibration that you are experiencing in the steering wheel; were they not able to diagnose this for you? Were they not able to duplicate your complaint?

I would like to look into this for you, but I will need more information about this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

Thank you for your concern and reply, it is greatly appreciated. The dealership I took my truck to about the complaint on the vibration was the one I bought the truck at. At the time, they could not duplicate the problem. I'm afraid they really didn't have the time to devote to making the problem "duplicate", as they only drove it around the parking lot. I asked if there were any problems with the '11 trucks having the same intermediate shaft issues as previous models, and the answer was of course "no"...but I was just wanting a second opinion and maybe a direction I could point the service department.

Is there anything in particular that you need to know? Or more descriptions about what the issue is...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We actually mentioned it on our test drive. I took the truck back at around 500 miles to have them look at it and I got the same response, they couldn’t feel it or reproduce it and everything "looked" ok. Frankly, I don’t have the time to sit in the customer waiting area while they dork around with it. If there isn’t a problem with the steering then it’s a terrible design. It’s looser than my 05 Yukon 2500, the 2wd Yukon loaner I had, my wife’s Range Rover, pretty much every other car/truck I’ve driven.

I had my truck lifted through DSI and hoped that maybe it would resolve it but nope… still there. Between the brakes (which are still pulling), the steering, and the damn regeneration I’m starting to wish I got the Ram.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure if the GM vibration on the steering wheel is any worse than the "death wobble" on Ford SuperDuty trucks.

I recently read on another forum that a guy with 2011 GM 2500 HD took care of the vibration problem by installing a "factory front steering stabilizer" from GM Parts Direct called "absorber", part #25888044, costing around $60 plus cost of fasteners (apparently the brackets are already on all trucks). You apparently will need bolts (#11515781) and nuts (#3537772) from the GM dealers to mount at the owner's expense. They all really should have been a standard install on all HDs from the GM factory, but I guess GM decided to omit them for cost savings. Wow.

I hope GM will start some sort of a recall or TSB for this issue to remedy the complaints from owners.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have the same problem with mine when I turn to the right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts