Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
04.5 Chevy CC 2500 DMax 4 x 4

I have the typical noise, talked about previously on here, while turning.

Now, I have this situation where........
say I'm hooked up to trailer and wanting to turn steering wheel while stopped holding brake in order to back up....
or parallel parked and holding brake to turn steering to get out. While holding brake, it is as if the steering cloumn is bound up and will not allow the wheels to turn. It is like it is binding up bad. I'm mean it is a bear to try to turn. If I let off the brake it will free up and turn. But, I get in situations where it is not possible to let off brake for frear of rolling into something, in order to turn steering.

Any ideas...........:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind is that the power steering of today is 'Power Assist' instead of the old pure power steering. That's what gives you the feel of non power steering while making it easier to steer. Most people wouldn't notice the difference but with weight on the truck and trying to turn it from a dead stop, you can.

Now, that's about as good a wild guess as I could come up with.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
285 with 60% tread

When I say it seems bound up.....it, in all honesty, is darn near locked up with brakes applied and will not turn at all. With easing off on braking, it frees up in proportion with amount of braking. If I am on brakes hard holding truck with either a loaded trailer or parallel parked empty......it does it.

If my memory serves me correctly, in all the vehicles I've driven.. including my big work trucks(air brakes)......the steering system has always turned the front wheels with the brakes fully applied.

Something just doesn't seem right......:eek:

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
The brakes done really have anything to do with the way it steers or how hard it is to steer. The brakes are on the end of the control arms inside the tire and wheel. So if your parked and are pushing on your brake pedal as hard as you can you should be able to turn the wheel just the same as if the brake was off or it was in park.

On any vehicle the power steering pump isw run off the serpentine belt. So the slower the RPM's in the motor the slower pump will turn. The power steering also is easiar if the vehicle is moving so the tire slides easiar.

Have you ever just checked your power steering fluid?

Try this. Shut your truck off on a small grade. Put it in neutral and hold your foot on the brake. Try turning the wheel... Its damb near impossible. Now try costing forward and turn your wheel. It be pretty easy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It's the damn hydroboost system. It sucks. Your power steering pump assists in braking too. My truck does the same thing from time to time. One thing that helped out a little was to raise the pressure in the front tires, but it didn't eliminate it.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
My truck does the same thing....sometimes while backing up..it gives me crap and won't turn...it's like fighting a fat woman for a doughnut. But like towmaster said...I just give it some gas and it turns fine. It's a pain and sux sometimes...but that method helps me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard replacing the fluid with a synthetic fixed most of these problems I will try and find out what brand can't remember off hand

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
What about any type of an up-grading or better pump option to assist more in turning
The binding experienced is from the fluid in the Hydro-Boost unit. Just flush the fluid from the return line and refill the pump reservoir and it’ll work like new.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i also had this problem. When sitting still and punch it off the line it felt like i was being held back. To make a long story short the pulley was slipping on the psp shaft. therefore not creating enough pressure to let the pin in the hydro. come back in. Or like mentioned you might have to flush the system because it is too dirty. you might have some air. let me know and i will explain how to bleed the system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my truck does the same thing. When stopped and trying to turn the wheel (to align with a trailer) its a bitch to turn. Please post back when you figure something out. thanks...Shafer

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The Hydro-Boost unit creates an enormous amount of heat under load when braking with trailers. Over time, the Fluid loses its lubricity as all PS fluid does. With the HB unit in the loop the lifespan is much lower.

GM service schedules list the flush at around 20k miles under heavy use, IIRC. I far exceed their hauling limits daily, with extreme braking in some of the worst ranked traffic in the Nation and in the surrounding Hill Country. My PS will start acting up around 10k miles with standard fluid and up to 15k miles with synthetic fluid.

A simple DIY procedure that will greatly increase the lifespan of the PS pump and the HB unit, and it doesn’t take much time at all as I have described in this link:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/suspension-steering/7348-steering-wheel-bogged-down.html

While there may be other issues that could be mechanical in nature, when applying the brakes and turning the wheels on a stationary truck causes binding and/or ‘whining’ from the pump and the system has never been serviced, then this is most likely the problem/solution. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I had forgotten about my original post, as it was done almost a year ago. Long story short...................

My PS pump went out and had to be replaced. System was flushed and fluid replaced. The problem went away. Thanks for the info above. With it, I will know what procedures to take for preventive mtnc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts