Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were now in the market for new step bars, as they can no longer be ordered from the factory and even the dealer suggested that we buy them "after market". The priorities are (in order) looks/durability, installation ease, and cost. We will need to do this fairly soon as the little lady can barely get in and out at all, much less in a graceful manner. We will probably buy on line. Does anyone have some good suggestions?
Thanks
Bill

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I believe westin makes some good ones. I personally just ordered mine from the dealer when I bought my truck, but if I didn't do that I would have bought the westins.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I have Alpine step bars....and personally.....I am getting rid of the whole Stepbar thing and am going to get running boards. By getting running boards...you will save ALOT of damage to your rocker panels. My dads truck is a 98 GMC...and he has not a scratch on his doors because he has full length running boards. If you want to wait a couple weeks you can buy my step bars....I'm just going to put them in the paper anyways.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running Boards

How much more expensive are the running boards? Hadn't thought of these. We need something soon. Would your crew cab bars fit our extended cab? I was under the impression that they would not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i like nfab a lot, i think they look good and theyre very durable. the step actually comes down some instead of where most nerf bars are just even with the truck but stick out a few inches. mine are coming in the mail today

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a photo when you genkst them installed?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you get nerf bars make sure you get them adjustable, or at least know what setting the kit comes with. Some nerfs are not adjustable and will leave you either too high or too low. I have a set of Westin chromed stainless bars on mine and they have only 1 setting which is high and makes them practically useless other than for looks. I am sure you can get a kit to make them adjustable, but pay attention to that with whatever you do.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
My bad....I didn't read you had an extended cab. But as far as price goes...you might spend a little bit more....but the damage it will save you is worth it in the long run. I personally can't stand spending all that money on a truck to watch rocks and dirt destroy the paint...it makes me cringe. But this is just my opinion. You can probably get a set of running boards for 250 or 350. My nerfs were 275.00. So it's not that much of a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Running boards are the way to go, Westin makes a nice set in different set up (black or chrome) $300 plus brakets ($100) but they are nice and do the job

·
Registered
47 Posts
i like nfab a lot, i think they look good and theyre very durable. the step actually comes down some instead of where most nerf bars are just even with the truck but stick out a few inches. mine are coming in the mail today
I love the way my red N-Fabs look, and they work pretty good too.

HOWEVER, they are rusting out significantly after one Ohio winter.:mad: If you see salt I would recommend you stay away from N-Fab.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check summit racing. I got mine from them(the summit brand) and like them a lot. They are stainless and affordable. Mine tuck a little closer to the cab than some of the other brands. I think they look better closer to the cab.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Runnin boards are way 2 papa lookin. Westin nerf bars are the only way 2 go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just got my nfabs on and they look and work great idk how to put a picture on here for you though

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Like my N-Fabs. But, the only problem I have with them, is the driver side does not fit as nice as the passenger side. It sits out more in the front than the back, and no way to ajust it. Other than that I am happy with them.

Justin

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I have a set of N-Fab 6 step nerf bars for sale that are like new!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW! They are great but im 22 and don't need to step into my stock height truck.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Just a heads up...but this thread is like 2 years old!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go with running boards. I have the step bars and I just had the bed painted on my truck. Less then a week later I had rock chips. Went back to the paint shop and was told that the front tires were kicking up rocks, hitting the step bars and bouncing against the new paint. Had not even been off road, just the normal crap that's on the roads.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i have the n fabs and love them strong and easy to install

1 - 20 of 21 Posts