Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had what sounded like a can full of rocks up under my truck and so I found my carrier bearing toasted and had it replaced. Now the noise I have sounds like a clanging. Like every revolution of a wheel almost reminiscent of a train on the tracks. I replaced one front wheel bearing but not the other wondering now if that could be it??? This is my work truck so it cant be down

·
Registered
10 Posts
something to try

does it do it when turning? hitting bumps? rough roads? can you fell it in the steering wheel? It might be the steering shaft. Teake it loose from the steering gear and slide it back and forth, You can clean it with mineral spirits or brake cleaner. then use antisieze or GM's speacial lube on it. They do make noise while driving and will visually look good when dissassembled. i did it on my 04 1500 a couple of years ago. Thought it wouldn't work, but it paid off.- dis regard i didn't read your post all the way through

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I had time today to do some more investigation and the transfer case was pretty much dry...so i put fluid in and sure enough I have a leak. It appears to be the gasket on the back of the transfer case to the tail housing. First off...is this something anyone else has heard of or seen? Second off how much a pain in the ars is this gonna be to replace and is there anyway im looking at this wrong and it could be another part of the transfer case leaking that you all hear or see more often?

·
Less than desired
992 Posts
Check to make sure you don't have pump rub issues... look at the bottom of the rear case half. You might possibly have a hole in the case... Search "pump rub" you will find more than you want to read!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well looks like you are right....

Now a different question, if I truly ran this thing dry would you just weld shut the hole and do the fix...or just order a new transfer case?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Pull it apart and check it but if it sounds like rocks rolling around i would say toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
10 Posts
how long was it noisy,clunky. how does it sound now? does it engage in 4x4 hi and low. does it still vibrate? I would order a new one unless you trust someone to repair it. Or you could take a gamble at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It made noise for about a week but it was pretty faint the whole time. Never seemed to get worse...but it did sound like rocks bashing around. I ordered the kit from Merchant Automotive tonight. Anybody used them for a whole new transfer case before? Because obviously if thats the route I go I certainly dont want to put this fixer kit in this one only to have it come in the new one from them. And yes the truck will still go in 4 wheel drive hi and low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would personally put a couple miles on it and drain the fluid. look for signs of metal or aluminum. Another test would be to block the wheesl remove the driveshafts, engage the 4 wheel drive and see how much slop is between the front and rear output shafts. you can also put the tranny neutral and listen for the chain rubbing the housing by turning the front output shaft. just some ideas. You are right for thinking about repairing what ever is wrong now, just because she shut up doesn't mean shes fixed.I would defenatly open the T-case before opening the kit you purchased. might find a new t-case a better option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks slim...yea and this thing is still pouring fluid...i just gotta find the pin hole now. Can a tig weld shut these things up

·
Registered
10 Posts
think about it you may waste alot of time and effort in disassembly and get it tig welded but i wouldn,t do it, id by a new case half or find a donor case. a local transmission parts warehouse may be able to u out. they specialize in finding used parts for the tranny shops. The aluminum is cast not forged, people do tig on cast but problems can arise. i havent looked closely at my t-case either. at one time they switched to magnesium for the case. ill try to research iy a bit. some on this forum should know right off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Btw

Hey I'm all for a cheap repair , but when your dealing with things that spin and could self destruct costing big money, it can be cheaper to bit the bullet for piece of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts