Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Stinky exhaust

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  ChevyTech77 
#1 ·
Just noticed my exhaust stinks of diesel pretty bad when i first park or stop at a stoplight. No leaks anywhere that i can see. No haze or smoke (other than a small [big] black puff when i drive like a prick). Not sure if maybe i got some iffy diesel on my road trip or what. I know i had one injector that was close to the edge. Was a 3 at idle and a 4 in drive when i tested it, the rest were fine. I think the limits were 4 in park and 6 in drive. It's not overwhelming, just more than it used to be. Or maybe it's just that i have my passenger window down the last couple days when i usually don't

#4 ·
Replace the high injector, as long as you don’t have low compression on that cylinder (doubtful).
My 2006 LBZ is smelly but I don’t mind it. Haven’t checked the return rates on the injectors yet because it runs really good and only smokes a little when I get on it hard.

#5 ·
Hopefully getting a cts2 today so i can check my return rates too. Only smoke i get is some white on cold mornings for about a minute or a bit of black when i hotrod it. Hoping the injector will last awhile if its still in spec

#12 ·
I’m fine with it as the truck will sit unless I need it for truck things (I have a commuter car for work, etc).

I leased 1/2 ton 5.3 Silverados for the past 6 years so I kind of got spoiled with their unloaded mpgs. It was nothing to pull down 22 mpg with my 2017 that I just turned back in. Towing our camper though? 8-9 mpg and its tongue was always hanging out. Not missing it that much, now. 😄

Reactions: Hyak55171
#16 ·
What brand oil? Any particular reason you're using 5/40?

I'm going to send them a sample from my next change. Haven't done that in a while because my trucks have been brand new and leases for the past 9 years.

#19 ·
Typically, yes.

I am not keeping track or anything but there is less and less conventional oils being used these days. Even straight from the factory. Having a bit of old school in me head makes it hard for me to be ok with putting synthetic in say a brand new engine. But, it’s done everyday now and no issues. I see test engines that have literally had the ever living shit kicked out of them, from day one, in the WORST conditions, running full synthetic and have less than 5% leak down after many hours of abuse, on a regular basis. Technology really has advanced a lot even in the mechanicals of a internal combustion engine, these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.