Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tailpipe

are stainless exhaust really worth being two hundred more than aluminized??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
northern michigan which is the bad part any buddy running the black series exhaust?

·
Registered
349 Posts
ive heard that stainless steel exhausts are mainly for the big ass lifted show trucks to look nice all shiny... aluminized wont really rust out is what i heard but im in texas so im not sure..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Aluminized will rust fast if you have heavily salted roads in the winter. My aluminum front pipe looks rough after 1 winter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey kind of have another question but dont want to sound dumb.How strong of diesel smell do your guys lb7's have? you can smell my truck from proably 10 feet away is this normal or another sign of bad injectors?? i have none of the other signs no white smoke,rough idle,or fuel in oil

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
hey kind of have another question but dont want to sound dumb.How strong of diesel smell do your guys lb7's have? you can smell my truck from proably 10 feet away is this normal or another sign of bad injectors?? i have none of the other signs no white smoke,rough idle,or fuel in oil
The LB7 engine did not have emission equipment [except CA] so the exhaust will have a diesel smell-- every vehicle after 2004 has a CAT and other equipment to help control exhaust emissions.

Of course many guys remove the emission equipment, and those will have more diesel smell. :cool:

[Removing any emission equipment is illegal on any vehicle] :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the answer i thought it was normal but my buddy was telling me that it was the injectors and i like how you say that removing it is illegal and right under that in your sig it says blocked like your style

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I added that because some people do not know that modifying is illegal, and there have been cases where police stop vehicles and inspect them for emission compliance.

I do have a blocked EGR and a re-routed PVC system, but have to convert it back to stock, for CA emission inspection.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
IMO I would go Aluminized. I bought a stainless and it has some decent rust after 2 winters. The stock are aluminum and not many people have problems with those rusting out.

On the smell, if its a raw diesel smell then yes, that is a sign of injectors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah in michigan there is no inspections so you can get away with alot. How do you like your lly i went and looked at one yesterday?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was afraid that someone was going to say that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts