Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my side mirrors were shaking/vibrating while driving, and it was driving me nuts so I decided I would try to remove the glass and see if I could fix it, NOT only was I UNsuccessfull in removing the glass, I broke the drivers side in the process.

I read a bulletin from GM on how to remove, but it didnt seem to work for me.

These are the stock accordion style mirrors with the turn signals in them, my question is this, how do I go about removing the glass first of all, and is there a good source for a replacement glass other than the dealership.

And how to I go about getting the passenger side to stop shaking?

I did a search but it seems most of those were warranty related and mine is way past warranty.

thanks in advance JB

·
Registered
308 Posts
my stockers shook like hell to but i just ended up getting the new style mirrors off ebay for pretty cheap.. if your set on saving those mirrors id find some someone pulled off their truck and steal that glass. hell i have mine sitting in the shop id sell ya the whole mirror, got blinker to... cant help ya on how to replace the glass but i got parts for ya haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much for your whole drivers side assembly? I may just be interested, also do you have a link to the mirrors you replaced your with?

thanks JB

·
Registered
308 Posts
How much for your whole drivers side assembly? I may just be interested, also do you have a link to the mirrors you replaced your with?

thanks JB
well the driver side one the housing is broke that part the reason i replaced them, but the glass is still all fine and that what your after right? i could send you a pic if you wanted

and the mirrors i just put on... Power Heat Turn Signal Pair Camp Tow Mirror Telescoping | eBay

I like them so far, thought they'd shake to becasue of how cheap they were but pretty darn good so far

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the driver side one the housing is broke that part the reason i replaced them, but the glass is still all fine and that what your after right? i could send you a pic if you wanted

and the mirrors i just put on... Power Heat Turn Signal Pair Camp Tow Mirror Telescoping | eBay

I like them so far, thought they'd shake to becasue of how cheap they were but pretty darn good so far

I still cant seem to figure out how to remove the glass, or how to reinstall if I do get a replacement, Dealer wants 50.00 just to change it, let me see what I can figure out, and ill get back to ya.

JB

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I just wedged some black tape between the glass and the motor housing. The shaking went away for about 2 years. I am due to add more tape now. I folded it over and shoved it in with a small screw driver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wedged some black tape between the glass and the motor housing. The shaking went away for about 2 years. I am due to add more tape now. I folded it over and shoved it in with a small screw driver.
I was thinking of doing something similar to this like a small piece of foam roll bar padding or something along those lines, the only problem is the drivers side cracked when i was trying to remove it and at first you couldnt hardly see the crack but its getting more noticeable everyday and I will have to replace that one soon.

Im definitely going to try a wedge on the passenger side.

JB

·
Registered
308 Posts

thanks JB
ya know what i was thinking about it and i lied to you, my pass side mirror was the broken one, the driver side is completely fine, if you find a way to fix the passenger one with either tape or something ill make you a deal, You send me $25 and ill ship you my drivers and u can just throw some tape behind that one and just swap the whole mirror. its heated, power with a signal, whole nine yards...

that's what i would do instead of trying to replace the glass. Took me 15minutes to swap my new mirrors in, it aint hard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya know what i was thinking about it and i lied to you, my pass side mirror was the broken one, the driver side is completely fine, if you find a way to fix the passenger one with either tape or something ill make you a deal, You send me $25 and ill ship you my drivers and u can just throw some tape behind that one and just swap the whole mirror. its heated, power with a signal, whole nine yards...

that's what i would do instead of trying to replace the glass. Took me 15minutes to swap my new mirrors in, it aint hard
Ill take it, do you take paypal or do you want me to send a money order?

You can PM me your paypal address or mailing address.

thanks a bunch!!!

JB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you tell me if the electrical connectors match up going from the power extend (accordian style) to the taller styler tow mirrors like the ones you put on? I want to get those taller mirrors, but I am afraid since my mirrors have power extend, memory, back up assist and all that bullshit, that the electrical connectors may be different. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
i think its the same.
look at your original mirror connectors (2) one should be blue and the other should be black. if they are, then the NEW mirrors should work with power. just no power extend

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can you tell me if the electrical connectors match up going from the power extend (accordian style) to the taller styler tow mirrors like the ones you put on? I want to get those taller mirrors, but I am afraid since my mirrors have power extend, memory, back up assist and all that bullshit, that the electrical connectors may be different. Thanks
its just two plugs, one blue one black. Plug them back and your good to go, Couldn't be easier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts