Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a fluid, internal filter, external spin on filter, and pan gasket change. When I finished I looked at the old internal filter and realized there was no seal on it, which means it separated and stuck in the hole and I just jammed the new filter with its gasket into the old gasket. I’ve drove it a total of 8 miles since with no issues but I’m thinking I’ll run into problems eventually if I haven’t already done some damage. Anybody ever experienced this? Should I just leave it as is until my next service or should I go ahead and do it all again? Also I would like suggestions on fluid and filter brands and where the best place to buy them in store or online either way. My towns O’Reilly only had the O’Reilly brand fluid and the cheaper filters.

On a side not the fluid I took out was pretty dark and the magnet in the pan had a lot of sludge and very very small metal chips. The drain plug and spin on filter magnets had no metal so I don’t think any damage has been done just normal wear and tear. I was debating on trying to flush it with fluid to try to get some of that darker sludge type stuff cleaned all the way out. If anyone has suggestions on what I should do that would be great as I’m no expert on transmissions.

2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ with Allison 1000 transmission. Everything is stock with 270,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Drain the fluid into a clean bucket and pull the pan again, get that extra o-ring out. Then reuse the fluid.

Everyone has their own preference on fluid, I just use the generic Dex compatible stuff from O'reilly's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drain the fluid into a clean bucket and pull the pan again, get that extra o-ring out. Then reuse the fluid.

Everyone has their own preference on fluid, I just use the generic Dex compatible stuff from O'reilly's.
Thanks for the input. I think I’m just going to go ahead and get the Allison brand filters and get some decent fluid and scrap my first attempt at this job. Learned my lesson though that’s for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts