Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the max "normal" EGT's are for a stock LBZ? I installed my pyro sensor in the exhaust manifold and kicked up my PPE to level 3. I've seen it get as high as 1200 for a second or two but that's without a load.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That sounds about normal. I think the generally you are safe to sustained at about 1300-1350. I have seen 1400 with my LB7 with a 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat. As long as you don't sustain those temps for long periods (I would say 10+ seconds) you should be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I ask, we pull some hard passes here in CO and with a loaded 5th Wheel Toyhauler, I'm concerned about excessive EGT's. Some of the passes are long and steep. You can be easily pulling up a pass for 15 minutes or longer.

My buddy had an edge programmer and he was bumping 1450 getting up Monarch pass with his LLY pulling a 5th wheel. He was so concerned about the heat, he removed the edge.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
1450 isn't that bad. You have the 6 speed allison right? Just put it in manual mode and hold it in a lower gear. Your EGTs should stay low enough. One thing I would do if I were you....remove the PPE and see what EGTs are without it under the conditions in question. Then, reinstall it and see how much higher it would be. At the stock setting, you should not get hot enough to burn down the engine. I am willing to bet that stock will get upwards of 1400 while pulling a load. I know some guys in other forums that peg out 2000 degree pyros and have not had any problems yet. Although, most of them aren't pulling that temp for long periods like you would in CO. Your buddy removed the edge???He could have set the EGT cut-off to any temp and it would have backed down the engine. I think you will be surprised at how hot the EGTs get even at stock setting. Obviously, you shouldn't tow with the PPE on level 3 without tranny upgrades especially if you are towing a considerable load. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i'm running the ppe on both of my trucks and running empty runnin normal i'll hit in to 700 to 800 degrees,but pulling hills i have hit 1400 and held it there and still no problems in almost 40k miles....something else i did is i installed a ppe boost controller so i can run my stock charger up 30 to 34 psi and that really helped my egt's to drop by almost 200 degrees but if you let it go over 34psi it will increase your egt's,with this boost controller very seldom do i see 1200 degrees...hope this helps...
ooh yah i wouldn't run more then 90hp extra while towing on a stock tranny because if you do your egt's will be alot higher that way,and it is alot easier on your tranny...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, I do have the 6 speed and will definitely heed the "M" mode input.

I may have misunderstood my buddy when he said he removed it. I asked what his EGT's were after removing it but he said the Edge unit housed that information so he wasn't able to see the stock temps. I assumed he removed it since he wasn't able to get the stock readings. He may have disabled it.

I didn't plan on towing on 3. Since I installed the pyro, I wanted to see what 3 was like. One word, expensive. If I keep it on 3, I see a new set of rubber in my very near future. Right now, I'm having big fun with the added power.

My buddy suggested the "return to stock" setting to verify factory EGT's but I didn't want to pull out the toys to check and was hoping someone already went through the exercise.

Again, thanks for the input!:rockin

·
Registered
192 Posts
....something else i did is i installed a ppe boost controller so i can run my stock charger up 30 to 34 psi and that really helped my egt's to drop by almost 200 degrees but if you let it go over 34psi it will increase your egt's,with this boost controller very seldom do i see 1200 degrees...hope this helps...
I assume this is not towing? If it is, how long did you sustain this boost?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I assume this is not towing? If it is, how long did you sustain this boost?
i seldom see 1200 degrees towing or runnin empty in hot tune,it made a big diference in my maxium boost,but not a big diference in my regular driving,increased by 2 to 4psi on under regular driving condictions....the hottest i had it was towing 12k runnin up a mile long hill and it hit 1275*,that was with the boost controller,before i had the boost controller it would travel into the high 1300* sometimes into 1400* runnin the same route with about the same weight...

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I have seen more fan activity with only added boost, what you have described. It would literally run non-stop.

do you recall how much fan you had?
no i don't remember if it ran non stop or not...other then that i ran like a scalded dog:fart what was the highest you ran your boost with the boost controller?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts