Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, while I'm saving up for EFI and exhaust, can I cut the musket lookin tip off my stock exhaust on my LMM in the meantime?? I heard the only reason for that hidious tip is to keep people from burnin themselves on it. Cuz it's designed to drag air across it to help cool since the temps coming out are so high. Help or advice appreciated!

Sent from Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
73 Posts
it pulls cool air in to lower the temp of the exiting exhaust. Its not going to throw codes or affect how the truck runs. But since the pipe will now end under the bumper and the exhaust isnt being cooled you taking a chance of melting wires or plastic parts or worst case catching the truck on fire. The regen cycle super heats the exhaust gases to burn the soot out of the dpf. That heat travels out your tail pipe. I have heard the gases reach 1600 degs in side the exhaust during the regen. Thats why it needs cooled before exiting.

·
Diesel Junky
1,109 Posts
i wouldn't as stated above^^ the gasses are very hot and that tip is designed to cool, that is why the dpf back system exists, if not everyone would just cut it. Just wait till you can drop the whole system

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'll wait

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
You can cut it at the narrowest part and weld a chrome exhaust tip on it. it looks a little better and will still function

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that's what I call innovative thinkin!!! Well played sir! I'll get on that tomorrow I believe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts