Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this weekend that the prior owner of my truck removed the stock jack and lug wrench that goes under the rear seat.

Is there something better to buy for these functions? I don't have a tool box in the bed, so space is limited.

Any ideas on getting a replacement set from somewhere other than GM?

Thanks for your ideas

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Junk yard's have them.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I bought the 3ton floor jack from Sears and also a 1/2"breaker bar with a 7/8" deep well impact socket. May be a little more expensive than a stock set from the junk yard, but works well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
dont go to the dealer for that shit. they quoted me over $500 for a new jack, lug wrench, and spare tire crank extenders! I still dont have them!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
my 07 6.0 gas 2500 didnt come with any of that either. i went on ebay and bought them for under $75.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I think there's an underground black market for those things, I scoured junkyards in three states and couldn't find one. The jack itself is crappy so i don't know why they disappear, but you definately need the extender bar to crank the spare tire down if you ever have to use it. I tried making a spare crank handle but gave up and finally found a set from another DF member.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^yeah they're good and all.. until you actually need to use your spare tire and the assy is stuck locked lol. took a cutoff wheel to get my setup off.. not that i'm bitter about it or anything, it was only pouring rain when it happened hahaha

Dare i propose getting a tool box and keeping tools/spare parts in it? I honestly can't tell you how many times i would have been left in a bind without mine

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Did you get it from a dealer? My lb7 didn't have one. Went back to the dealer and I had a new set in 2 days for free.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
279 Posts
any dealer that sells a used vehicle is REQUIRED to have that shit in the truck. so if you bought it from a dealer, contact them and they have to provide it to you. theres also a couple other things a vehicle has to have operational- hazard lights, defrosters, and something else, just cant remember!

·
Registered
984 Posts
harbor frieght bottle 15ton bottle jack for like $30 and throw a couple cheap sockets in the tool box!

·
Registered
119 Posts
harbor frieght bottle 15ton bottle jack for like $30 and throw a couple cheap sockets in the tool box!
That is the route I would go. Bottle jack will lift it with no problems. You might have to carry a few short pieces of 2 x 6s for it to sit on for extra height. I bought an air operated bottle jack from Harbor freight to use on my 1 ton and it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts