Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to make the jump to Bilstein 4600s on my 2019 Denali HD 2500 with just shy of 10K miles.

After swapping the fronts out, one of the shocks hadn’t rebounded, even after 20+ minutes.

Disappointed that GMC advertises these shocks as an upgrade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Wouldn't those be under warranty? Why not get a set for free and then upgrade to the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's pretty sad. I'm thinking of replacing soon as well. Please give us your thoughts on the Bilsteins when you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly didn’t think they would go bad so quickly.

I don’t do any hard off-roading or towing, so I’m puzzled.

if I would’ve known they were bad, I would’ve definitely made a warranty claim before upgrading to the 4600s.

I’ll be sure to leave a more through review once I have the rear shocks installed.

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
I would still go ahead and get the bad one replaced as they are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. You can get a faulty product from any brand.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I decided to make the jump to Bilstein 4600s on my 2019 Denali HD 2500 with just shy of 10K miles.

After swapping the fronts out, one of the shocks hadn’t rebounded, even after 20+ minutes.

Disappointed that GMC advertises these shocks as an upgrade.
Had the same experience with two black-colored AC Delco shocks that came on my 2019 Chevy High Country (not a Z-71). When compressed by hand one never opened back up, and the other one finally rebounded very slowly over night. Truck only had about 7,000 miles when I pulled them off to install my leveling kit. Replaced the junk AC Delco‘s with Bilstein 5100 series shocks. Had them for about 13,000 miles before installing my 4 inch suspension lift kit and 35 inch tires. Gave them to my father who had 30,000 miles on a 2017 High Country Z-71 with the red & white Rancho shocks. His seemed to rebound slowly but nothing like what you and I experienced. He called me a week after installing the Bilstein‘s and could not believe how much better his truck rode than with the Rancho’s. Too bad GM got away from offering the Bilstein 4600’s on their Z-71 trucks. Some of the best riding trucks I ever had were the 1/2 ton Chevy Z-71’s in the 1990’s with these shocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just sad that there are so many of these stories.

Acknowledge that sometimes there will be manufacturing issues, but there seem to be consistent quality issues with these “Rancho” shocks.

(Not even sure if they’re truly Rancho from reading across multiple forums.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced mine on my 2019, I only have about 15k miles on it, but I did notice a significant better ride with the 5100's I put on. The stock ones did not blow out like yourS, the billys are just a better inexpensive shock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've used Rancho shocks off and on since the mid 90's and I have come to accept them to be like the fast food of the industry; you can eat those burgers, and you likely won't die, but they represent the bottom of the barrel. For the past 10+ years I have used either Bilstein or Fox and never once regretted it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 5100 series came in today. Bye bye Rancho. Thanks everyone for the the info. Will be installing them in a week or two when I get freed up from work. Well update.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine were the same, both fronts took forever to rebound if at all at only 16k miles. Replaced all with 5100’s with a very noticeable difference in ride quality, especially at highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did the replacement today. What trash product the Rancho shocks are. 66k on the truck.

I think by the time I got done with the truck and ate dinner they finally rebounded.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Did the replacement today. What trash product the Rancho shocks are. 66k on the truck.

I think by the time I got done with the truck and ate dinner they finally rebounded.
Nice job gettin’ r done today. I am sure you will find the suspension improvement well worth the investment. But you are right, the stock shocks (Rancho & AC Delco) are complete junk. Sad they even put them on a $70k truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thing I replaced on my 2019 Denali HD was shocks with Bilstien 5100’s . Truck rides a lot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
75K miles on 2017 Denali, we replaced with King Shocks from the DMax store in Sacramento

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aren't the ranchos a hydraulic vs gas shock still? Meaning they should resist movement up and down instead of trying to extend all the time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts