Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post some pics we took for a good comparison of stock vs HIDs. Keep in mind that I have the all on mod for the highs, whereas morepower doesn't so he is holding the turn signal stock back to keep the lows and highs on for the pic. I am running 5000k for the lows and highs and 3000k for the fogs. All are 35w except for the 55w highs.

Lows and fogs

Highs (lows and highs vs all on)

·
Registered
405 Posts
dang seein those pics makes me wanna do it now

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i finally hit a dark stretch of road last night to test where i could reach with my lights

driving i hit a sign a half mile out and could have gotten further on a straighter road

sitting at morepower's (jake's) house me and erik both hit a sign that jake said was at least a mile out

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah man, definitely worth it. I also haven't been flashed yet with these, I always got flashed with my stockers. I think the 5000k may be easier on the eyes for oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm surprised oncoming drivers aren't flashing you with that setup...from where the picture was taken, you can see that the light from the HID's is shooting up waaay higher than the stock bulbs (if the picture was taken at a lower level the stock setup would like brighter I suspect). That's the main reason why HID kits are illegal, because they tend to glare really badly above the factory bulbs and blind oncoming traffic. The best way to do HID's is to do a retrofit that uses a projector setup from a car that originally had it...it's more expensive, but you get a crisp cutoff and the cops will never give you trouble for it. HID Planet has some really nice info on the retrofits...

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Actually, steepy and morepower can attest to how low the focal point of my lights are. I agree they look aimed extremely high in those pics, but I believe that that's due to my ISO and shutter speed settings on the cam.

Edit: I am not disagreeing with you on the benefits of projectors, however with the right temperature choice and with the lights properly aimed they are not as distracting as most HIDs out there. I can stare into my lows and fogs without much bother.

·
Registered
533 Posts
thx for posting these up the old man wants me to order them now. when im on the ddm site what blub type is it? H1? also 5000k are the whiter bulbs right?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
9005 highs
9006 lows
H10 fogs

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
and mine are 4500K and erik's are 5000K

·
Registered
585 Posts
Actually, steepy and morepower can attest to how low the focal point of my lights are. I agree they look aimed extremely high in those pics, but I believe that that's due to my ISO and shutter speed settings on the cam.

Edit: I am not disagreeing with you on the benefits of projectors, however with the right temperature choice and with the lights properly aimed they are not as distracting as most HIDs out there. I can stare into my lows and fogs without much bother.
Yeah I mean some factory reflectors are worse than others, so that's good that they're not too bad. A lot of people aren't even aware of the issue of the glare at all, but it sounds like you are! I'm also glad to hear that the pictures aren't representative, because it definitely looks high in them. Looks good though, don't want you to think I'm talking down on your truck!

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no I appreciate you bringing the issue up. Oncoming drivers, and other traffic in general were the only thing making me hesitant to get HIDs. I feel like too many here just want the brightest, best looking lights and forget about other drivers. But I agree, if you are getting HIDs I would recommend projectors. I spent a lot of time looking at differet temps in person before I was comfortable I wouldn't blind other traffic.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Any problems with the 55watts and melting? I was thinking about 55's on highs but I dont want to melt the covers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 55 watt 10k in my lows and fogs. Both kits are from ddm and have been on the truck for about 9 months. not a single problem with bulbs or lense melting. love the lights huge difference over stock

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ Ditto. I haven't had mine as long, but I don't see any discoloring in the reflector or anything as of yet.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the lenses can handle it then why wouldnt a guy put in 55's?

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Too bright for diving in traffic; I only have 55s in my highs.

And also for those that think the blue is "cool" the 55w wash out the color a little.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Too bright for diving in traffic; I only have 55s in my highs.

And also for those that think the blue is "cool" the 55w wash out the color a little.
i dont suggest diving in traffic erik...it may result in pain and possible injury

·
Registered
311 Posts
Plan on order a few sets of the ddm kits and had a few questions.

If I run 35w in fogs/lows at 6k and plan to run 55w in the high beam, what wavelength will best match since it washes out? A 8k at 55 w?

Second question one of the trucks I am ordering a set for is a ford (boo) . They come with a 1 bulb (2 filaments) set up for high/low. I see the option for this bulb but my question what if you are running daytime running lights through that 1 bulb set up? I assume there is some sort of power reducer for the daytime running lights, I wonder if this will work through the ballast or do I need eliminate the day time running lights?

Thanks

Did some more research looks like the DRL would have to be disabled on the ford.

Did anyone have to re aim their lights after install? How is the glare?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts