Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having steering problems tring to fit bigger tires and worn out steeing parts,Im considering doing a starigt axle set up in my 2006 gmc sieera 4door long box what do you all think It will take ime and money and wont be done overnight any thoughts??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thats cheap

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Thats cheap for that axle, but will probably need rebuilding... Doing this swap is really not worth it, unless you have endless money and time, and plan to keep the truck for awhile.. If you know what you're doing, go for it. If you have a 4x4 shop do it, be prepared to pay $7,000+ to do it right

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think they are some definite options here guys. Yes it is time and money but to me the benefits far outweigh all the problems these IFS lifts will cause. I think about it this way: a 6in lift for my truck will average 1600 bucks. Add 400 for steering upgrades it will need. So 2K for 6in of lift, assuming all installed ourselves. Then you get to deal with wearing ball joints, wheel bearings, and steering components that all have a difficult time with the lift. (Not to mention traction bars that will never allow your suspension to articulate).

So my plans are as follows: Pick up a Dana 60 for 500 bucks on craigslist. Couple that with ORU's straight axle hardware setup and springs for roughly 2k. Maybe an additional 500 for things like brake lines, slip yoke eliminator, etc. So total of roughly 3k for bullet proof suspension setup. Better for towing, off-roading, and daily driving. Basic welding and grinding involved, nothing too crazy. The only amount of money I am going to spend on IFS parts is some nice shocks and keys while I sit on the SAS swap for awhile. MY 2 cents.

EDIT- To answer your question- GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
384 Posts
i always here of the SAS swap and lift has anyone done it with out a lift cause that might just be for me

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to say this but with ford's new and improved tranny plus already having quote truck like suspension I may just switch sell my gmc and buy one there's lot of problem's with the ifs if you dont keep it stock the dodges and ford are bigger out of the box Its a [email protected] off because I like the gmc,but I really dont need atruck that drives like a car thats a silly idea imo I need a truck cant beleive they went this route and done seem to be changing anytime soon

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
Im not sure what your looking to achieve or your purpose of the vehicle having solid front axle... Big tires and front end parts never got along with IFS obviously... but i hardly think that all that money and time is worth it nor buying a new vehicle??? instead of replacing ball joints a bit more often than normal... and a idler/pitman here and there

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
I think they are some definite options here guys. Yes it is time and money but to me the benefits far outweigh all the problems these IFS lifts will cause. I think about it this way: a 6in lift for my truck will average 1600 bucks. Add 400 for steering upgrades it will need. So 2K for 6in of lift, assuming all installed ourselves. Then you get to deal with wearing ball joints, wheel bearings, and steering components that all have a difficult time with the lift. (Not to mention traction bars that will never allow your suspension to articulate).

So my plans are as follows: Pick up a Dana 60 for 500 bucks on craigslist. Couple that with ORU's straight axle hardware setup and springs for roughly 2k. Maybe an additional 500 for things like brake lines, slip yoke eliminator, etc. So total of roughly 3k for bullet proof suspension setup. Better for towing, off-roading, and daily driving. Basic welding and grinding involved, nothing too crazy. The only amount of money I am going to spend on IFS parts is some nice shocks and keys while I sit on the SAS swap for awhile. MY 2 cents.

EDIT- To answer your question- GO FOR IT!

slip yoke eliminator is 500 plus so that money has been already spent... don't forget your bearing overhaul kit, kingpin rebuild kit, if your goin 4:56 or lower a new carrier, crossover/highsteer kit. then suspension components on top of that, driveshaft. Theres a bit more to this swap than i think people realize....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know whwtas involved Im weighing the pro and con's Im not sold on it I have truck here the same as mine the guy spent 13k front to back and would give me it all for 4500,im not sure what Im going to do

·
Registered
88 Posts
slip yoke eliminator is 500 plus so that money has been already spent... don't forget your bearing overhaul kit, kingpin rebuild kit, if your goin 4:56 or lower a new carrier, crossover/highsteer kit. then suspension components on top of that, driveshaft. Theres a bit more to this swap than i think people realize....
I agree with you, I was just trying to show its not impossible and doesn't have to be done in a shop. I think there is alot involved and alot of costs but to me it seems worth it.

I don't think it would constitute buying a new truck at all. I think it really depends on what you want to use the truck for. Street driving, towing, and very mild wheeling would never necessitate a SAS. If you really wanted to hit some trails, dunes, and really abuse the truck its no question. :drink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts