Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas! Just installed a straight pipe 4” MBRP exhaust from the downpipe back and exhaust sounds horrible on the higher revs or whwn I am pushing throttle goin up a hill. Neutral it sounds fine. I double checked to make sure everything was tight. Do I need to tune it after installing straigh exhaust? Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
No tune required. What do you mean by it sounding "horrible"? I had a 4" downpipe back with a axle dump. The cab drone was annoying at freeway speeds. I installed a MBRP quiet tone muffler and the drone is gone. Still nice and loud when you put your foot in it, but more comfortable on long drives especially when towing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think thats what it is. On the longer runs especially when pedaling it sounds like a rattling noise from the drivers seat. Was it easy to take apart the piping after removing clamps? Does the clamp dent the pipes inwards to make it hard to remove? Might just end up adding a quiet tone muffler.

No tune required. What do you mean by it sounding "horrible"? I had a 4" downpipe back with a axle dump. The cab drone was annoying at freeway speeds. I installed a MBRP quiet tone muffler and the drone is gone. Still nice and loud when you put your foot in it, but more comfortable on long drives especially when towing.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you're hearing a rattling noise I'd check all the connections and the exhaust to see if it is hitting the frame, crossmemeber, or something else on the truck. It shouldnt be rattling. I installed a FTE resonator (17") on my truck and have been very pleased with it. Toned it down a little and cut down on drone a lot. If you tightened your clamps to the point where the exhaust is dented inwards it will be harder to dismantle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts