Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone eliminated the muffler by putting in a straight pipe? Im sure the EGT's would be lower but would it hinder performance? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did that with the 02 I just traded off......I noticed it seemed to spool up and get down the road a little quicker.....No hard numbers or data just good old fashioned, "Gee, this seems a little snappier than before!"......May be no improvement at all :confused: but to me it seemed it did help a little :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to do any damage. I just ordered the Edge Juice w/Outlook and wanted to make sure my air flow was addequite(?). If I get time, Ill try it this week and post my results. I try to dyno before and after so that everyone knows for sure. thanks again.
John

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd say you should do something exhaust-wise if your going with a performance upgrade like the "Juice"......Do you plan on working the truck hard or just doing it for fun???? If your going to work it hard you may want to consider a 4" system vs. just straight piping sans muffler, as the upgrade is sure to increase EGT's considerably and this could have a negative effect over time......I'm sure there are others on here that could be a little more specific as to what your needs would be if you intend to work the truck hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say I dont work my truck very hard. I do occasional towing of my travel trailer (2x/yr) and plowing my driveway. Mostly its just a daily driver to and from work(80mi). I will look into going to the 4" exhaust but I was hoping the straight pipe might get me by for now. The juice cost me $500 and I slowly have to take money out for my wifes sake. The only reason I could get the Juice was because I told her I wanted the new LBZ motor but this was a cheaper fix.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the performance section for the dyno numbers I posted after the modifications. Thanks for all the info.
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
exhaust egt's

I have a 02 dmax and have to say that when i put on a 4' exhaust i must have lost some bottom end but at the same time when i have my 5th wheel on it thats when i noticed the biggest difference. i also have the edgejuice w/attitude moniter and at that point it dont matter anyway what you are doing you can pull next to most mustangs and convert them to chevy guys real quick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i put a 4" on my power stroke:)eek: i know wrong forum but...) and it lowered exhaust temps and better fuel mileage. toss the muffler in the trash when you get a system. sounds better w/o it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts