Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and it looks like no one has really done it on a Duramax yet. I found some 5" exhaust cutouts that are electronically operated (link below) and I thought about how I could have an exhaust system that was loud when I wanted it, and quiet when I wanted it. I think that if I were to run a 5" straight pipe back from the turbo and then put a y-pipe in there, I could have a cutout after each of the branches on the y-pipe. Then the straight pipe would continue on on branch, but on the other branch there would be a muffler. Then, there would be another y-pipe but this one would join the two pipes together again, and go to a single-exit tailpipe. It would be operated by opening one valve and closing the other. What do you guys think? Would this be restricting or would it be about the same, even with the bends and whatnot? I think it would be pretty neat myself, just want your guys' opinion.
Race Ready EC500S, Race Ready Performance Electric Exhaust Cutout Kits | Race Ready

·
Registered
205 Posts
The little bit of extra sound you will get with the cutouts will not be worth your trouble. Its not like a gas engine when you have a straight exhaust or open headers. Diesels are much quieter. Im running a 5" straight pipe and not one time has anybody asked me if it was a straight pipe or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright guys well I have a 4" straight pipe right now and I don't know what you're talking about it's definitely loud to me. I'm talking about like stock quiet and then a 5" straight pipe. That would be quite a bit different I think.. I just don't want it loud all the time

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Alright guys well I have a 4" straight pipe right now and I don't know what you're talking about it's definitely loud to me. I'm talking about like stock quiet and then a 5" straight pipe. That would be quite a bit different I think.. I just don't want it loud all the time

Then put a muffler on it... and a 5" straight pipe is quieter in the cab than a 4". If you want to do then why does it matter what we say?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I came off as cocky, I was just trying to make sure you guys knew all the details. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like you I have to wanted to do this, but I was gonns have a short stack for pulling then a muffler out the back for daily driving. I do agree with them tho that for the amount of time fabing everything up, you are better off doing one or the other. And lbz's are much quieter than the ole IHI thumping lb7s I will agree with that. But if you wanna tackle it more power to ya!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts