Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 2500 diesel. stock 3.5" exhaust took the cat off and muffler off. sounded great grate mpg. I pulled my toy hauler and check engine light came on for egr not good flow. put the cat back on and light wont come on. I miss the sound and performance. I know about the egr delete, but am still under warranty for 4 more years. anything I can do to have the performance and sound back or close to it? 4" straight pipe from the cat back? Thank you

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
if you don't mind living with the CEL then take on the cat and run it, clear the code when ever you get a chance or it will clear it self sometimes. its not a big deal and quite common for those who have straight piped their truck, happens with 4" and 5" exhaust too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
say I pull my trailer and where im going is 3 hours away, if it comes on and I don't clear it, will it hurt anything or have long term affects?

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
nope, just tells you the EGR has insufficient flow im guessing its code P0401?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes p0401 I had a guy say it was a big no no because it could make the truck rich or lean it out. after my warranty is up I will do a egr delete, but in the mean time....

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
I never had an issue with it. I would get it consistently in the same stretch of highway every other day. goin up a hill in cruise control in the morning on the way to work.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
yes p0401 I had a guy say it was a big no no because it could make the truck rich or lean it out. after my warranty is up I will do a egr delete, but in the mean time....
Who's this genius guy who told you that? Rich or lean?? You drive a diesel, not a gas job.

You can straight pipe it and put a "finger stick" on. The finger stick will take care of the codes.

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
I cut the muffler and DOC off my 06 3500 and welded in straight pipe. The first 1600 miles was a trip from Nashville TN to KC Missouri (a lot of driving around while there, then back home). No CEL until a week later. Light popped on, I put a scan tool to it, checked the code (P0401) and cleared it. Stayed off until yesterday... came on while on the interstate. When I got off the interstate, and pulling away from stop sign/lights I gave it a healthy WOT a couple times and the light went out (thanks for the tip CO2elephant Mike).

I'll do the EGR delete and PCV reroute after Christmas. Until then, not going to worry about the CEL if it comes on intermittently.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no I didn't see that. I looked them up on google, about $50. do I need to block the egr also or just let it ride, worried about warranty, is this finger stick easy to take out if I go to the dealer?

·
Registered
945 Posts
4 year warranty on a 06? Did you buy the warranty with the truck?

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
Probably prco or something like that. I wouldn't worry about the warranty too much blocker plate and finger stick are easily reversible

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
Extended warranty is probably useless. Those type of warranties usually don't cover crap.
I'm going to disagree Mike. I got trans lines, wheel hub, and idler/pitman arm replaced under mine. The only thing it didn't cover were things like brakes and shocks. Parts that wear out.

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
Hell if I knew where my finger stick is I'd just give it to you but I'm pretty sure it's burried somewhere

1 - 20 of 25 Posts