Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving from California back to Georgia outside of Arizona the stabilitrak message came up with ABS light and service trailer brake. I'm pulling a 2500 pound trailer with a 2018 3500 HD. Stuck over night and next day, no notifications once I started going.
500 miles down the road, emissions warning, engine light, limited speed in 165 miles and truck sputtering. I'm here for the weekend waiting for a shop to open. Read lots on throttle body, NOX sensor, Def tank issues, and I am at a loss. Don't know the code yet but why all the different things at once? Need to have some idea as chevy dealer 2 weeks out and am at random garage. Need to get home!!

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Have you been using regular DEF or platinum DEF?

Your total weight is 2500lbs?

Any issue on your way out there? We need the specific code to give you a little more. When did you last top of your DEF tank?

· Registered
1 Posts
Driving from California back to Georgia outside of Arizona the stabilitrak message came up with ABS light and service trailer brake. I'm pulling a 2500 pound trailer with a 2018 3500 HD. Stuck over night and next day, no notifications once I started going.
500 miles down the road, emissions warning, engine light, limited speed in 165 miles and truck sputtering. I'm here for the weekend waiting for a shop to open. Read lots on throttle body, NOX sensor, Def tank issues, and I am at a loss. Don't know the code yet but why all the different things at once? Need to have some idea as chevy dealer 2 weeks out and am at random garage. Need to get home!!
I just got my truck out of the shop error codes were Knock sensor 1 and 2 Def. tank module and reduced my speed to 55mph then down to 4 mph I watched a you tube video and a fellar said to unplug the transfer case cable sure as shit the speedo quit working but allowed me highway speeds to get drive an hour and a half to coastal diesel injection in Corpus Christi from where i was.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you been using regular DEF or platinum DEF?

Your total weight is 2500lbs?

Any issue on your way out there? We need the specific code to give you a little more. When did you last top of your DEF tank?
Bsismster I've not had any problems. I've heard elevation change but we were in Northern Cali at 2500' for 4 years. Assumed the stabilitrak was from the shi##^ roads in Arizona with snow and ice. Pot holes so bad the wheels were leaving the ground! 6x12 utility trailer pulling log splitter and golf cart. Total cargo 1,600.
I filled the DEF tank at a pump in Grass valley 2 weeks ago and have not put miles on the truck up until we left Wednesday. I'm into the trip 1,400 miles or so.
I know the codes will help but seems weird all these things at once...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my truck out of the shop error codes were Knock sensor 1 and 2 Def. tank module and reduced my speed to 55mph then down to 4 mph I watched a you tube video and a fellar said to unplug the transfer case cable sure as shit the speedo quit working but allowed me highway speeds to get drive an hour and a half to coastal diesel injection in Corpus Christi from where i was.
I will keep that in mind. Just odd all these things at once. Just like you, I want to get home with 1500 miles to go. I'm afraid one thing will be replaced then 300 miles down interstate 40 something else!

· Registered
7,493 Posts
Go to one of the national auto parts chains, like O'Reilleys who has very nice Bosch scanners, and see what codes are present. They will read for free. See that you now have an offer for some local help. It very well may be to your advantage to purchase an inexpensive can tool for the balance of the trip. Often times, the stopping of the engine , clearing of the codes, will allow you to continue your journey, at least for a time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to one of the national auto parts chains, like O'Reilleys who has very nice Bosch scanners, and see what codes are present. They will read for free. See that you now have an offer for some local help. It very well may be to your advantage to purchase an inexpensive can tool for the balance of the trip. Often times, the stopping of the engine , clearing of the codes, will allow you to continue your journey, at least for a time.
Hey Ron thanks for the info. I would like to limp on down to find a O'Reilly but I'm in a Crack head part of New Mexico and have a utility trailer with my tools on it and can't leave it at the hotel. Had to buy $100 in chain and locks! I'm kinda stuck. I've heard about clearing the codes and willing to do that. I filled my Def at a reputable pump in Grass valley so not sure if it's bad def.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that has indeed helped me when I had the reduced speed come up on the DIC. kept clearing the code which kept me driving across the country and get to where i was going until I went with a more permanent solution to the reduced speed issue. the code was for poor def quality which i believe was a bad sensor or something.
At this point it sounds like what I'll do based off the code reading of course. Sucks 1500 miles from home,broke,and stressed tfo!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, update on stranded. Still stranded but in Tucumcari. Had shop read error code and indicated #4 injector. Coast to Coast garage sent me to sister shop due to being over booked. Limped down here 140 miles. Mechanic found wire chewed into on top of EGR Temperature sensor. ( RATS around out farm) Need to replace the sensor prior to checking the codes to confirm the injector code. So, now i sit and sleep in my truck due to delays in shipping. Arrived Saturday the 8th and the part is coming from Colorado. Supposedly Monday. Loosing my mind......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.