Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 Silverado Duramax and about a month ago I had a problem after a hard acceleration where it started cutting out on me. The more throttle I gave it the slower it went. If I kept the rpms below 2000 it would run fine and I was able run 70 mph on the highway and get home. I was suspecting it was the fuel filter. The next morning it ran fine and I went on driving it. Later in the day same thing happened and I was out of town and took it to a dealer and had the fuel filter changed... It has been running fine until today same situation, I was on the interstate and floored it to pass some semi trucks and it started cutting out and slowing down... It only has about 3000 miles since the fuel filter change... Do you think that it may be something else? Or did I maybe just get some dirty fuel? Truck has 219,000 miles on it and I am the original owner. Also I have added a cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust, and a Diablo tuner with economy tune. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
10,678 Posts
Best to just change the filter and rule it out.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
If you have never change the FF head, that may be your issue. As they age they tend to leak and sometimes loose prime. Pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
2005 Sierra 2500 crewcab
13 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05, except mine was more severe. It happened a handful of times sparatically while towing my fifth wheel. I would get on it to pass or to get up to speed quickly and it would cut out and barely run. I would pull over and sit and it would run fine again as long as I didn't accelerate hard and kept the rpm's down. The edge tuner on mine would show an egr code. I have since replaced the egr valve and so far the problem has not recurred. However I only have about 2500 miles since replacing it. The inside of the egr valve looked like tar, it probably could not open and close like it should. I would see about putting it on a scanner to look for codes. Mine never threw a check engine light but the codes were there on my edge. Hope this helps, only a thought

·
Registered
451 Posts
Check your soft fuel lines on both sides of filter. Also next to hydro boost and further down by transmission. With age they get soft and CP3 will collapse them under suction, starving pump. If you can crush hose between fingers its time.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Check your soft fuel lines on both sides of filter. Also next to hydro boost and further down by transmission. With age they get soft and CP3 will collapse them under suction, starving pump. If you can crush hose between fingers its time.
Did it throw a code? If so it may be P0087? Here is a fix for this issue,not expensive:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/...und-fix-p0087-when-under-load.html#post775709

In addition to the two mentioned it can also be the braided line from the fuel tank to the first SS line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.