Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My truck has been sitting since this last Thursday. Last night I popped the hood to plug in the block heater and just left the hood slightly open just in case if there was freezing rain over night.

This morning I go out and unplug the heater, close the hood all the way, I head back inside the house and remote start the truck (I hear it start) about a minute later I go to leave and notice the truck wasn't running? So I figured I bumped into my keys and turned it off. I get in inside and start it up and everything seems normal, as I drive to the end of the street I notice my engine light is on...

So I drive it back home, turn it on and off a few times and the light stayed on. I turned the truck off and remembered I had onstar and contacted them. They had me start the truck to run the diagnostics on the truck and of course the light turns off and stays off, so they couldn't pull anything up..

Drove it to work after this happened and everything seemed to run like normal.

Truck has just over 2k miles, bone stock, full tank of fuel, maybe got into the high 20's that night. Only thing I did notice that the battery gauge was at the halfway mark and maybe took a minute to get to the 14volt mark.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience or not but I've never experienced anything like this on my other dmaxs. (I know you can't remote start the truck with the hood open)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Anytime you have a CEL, the remote start will not work and the truck will shut down. This is by design. You can only manually start it with the key.

It sounds like you could have a bad battery which I have heard can cause funny things in terms of CEL and codes being thrown.

Either way your under warranty so take it to your dealer and let them diagnose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Sand, it looks to be something with the batteries or the charging system. On my way to work this morning it took about 5+ minutes for my voltage gauge to hit 14v and on my way home it took about 10 minutes. Just another thing to add to the list when i take it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts