Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here and I'm having some issues with the lly that I just picked up today. I've been searching around on this forum and a few others and haven't really found much that relates, but I have a strange noise that almost sounds like a blow off valve that comes in and out at random times. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it to much yet. Just curious if anyone has encountered this before and if so maybe I can get some advice for a head start soon when I'm off work. I believe this post follows the forum rules but please correct me if I'm wrong. Only mods that I am aware of is a cut off exhaust. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Noise seems to be coming from exhaust. Had a friend listen and I couldn't find any soot on the up or down pipes any suggestions?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Is it the factory exhaust that has been cut? Or is it an actual exhaust "system" that dumps? Curious if the bolts on your flange have walked a bit, or the gasket not properly seated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe it is the factory exhaust that has been cut. I tried to tighten up the v bands and up pipes and didn't have much success today. Removed the exhaust at the last v band so now all that is there is the downpipe and I'm still getting the same noise. But maybe a little louder, It's just strange how the noise comes and goes with no real pattern. Sometimes when in boost and let off the throttle it comes in and others it doesn't. Not convinced it is a boost leak because of the inconsistency, but checked the boots anyway and noticed nothing out of the norm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else? This is getting me pretty good I've been looking for a leak on the up pipes, down pipe and egr lines but no luck what so ever. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
655 Posts
Open your clamps and rotate the boots. You may have a dry rot slit somewhere that is only found when under pressure. Or crawl under and spray everything down with some soapy water and perform a leak test from the outside. One person under with the other person building boost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts