Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 DMax LLY has developed a strange cab shudder as though a bad shock or bearing while cruising @ 50 - 55 mph. This is most apparent after a long highway cruise of 00+ miles and in warm weather (80+). Dealer blamed shocks. I changed them out. Dealer then blamed tires. I changed them out and had new ones tested and stress balanced. Dealer then said I was crazy. I don't think so and neither does anyone that rides in the truck with me. Chey is now "researching and getting back to me". I have 15K left on warranty. They may be thinking I'll just go away.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? Any similar experiences???

Thanks for any help

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
have you checked the wheel bearings,ABS or the tie rods i'm saying this is the problem just giving suggestions..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the bearings checked, the ABS and the tie rods inspected with no problems reported. The problem does not go away with a downshift. It seems as though it is always there, but is accentuated in intensity after a long cruise at highways speeds over 20-30 miles and then trying to drive at 45-50 mph (i.e. work zone). Then it is there for the rest of the day. After sitting all night, it remains while still warming up, then eases in intensity while driving, but after all day, again comes back. Weird, huh? Do you think it could be torque converter or perhaps something in the front drive line or transfer case?? Everyone at Chevy seems to be stumped.

·
Registered
699 Posts
while cold block your tires, put the tranny in nuetral and craw under it. check both output shafts and both pinions, and all u joints. get it hot and do the same again. sometimes the only way to find things like that is compare tolerences between hot and cold

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Had A Sudder At 60-65 Also. I Cheched All Things You Did And Found That The Rear Bushing On The Transfer Case Was Worn. In The Process Of Changing, Decided To Split The Case And Found That The Pump Was Wearing Through The Case( Known Problem). Kennedy Diesel Makes A Fix For This($50.00) Waiting For It To Come. Ceck out web site "the diesel page" lots of good stuff there also

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have long suspected something in the transfer case was the source of this shudder because of how it fells in the floor board. Although it can be felt in the steering wheel, it doesn't seem to be only there. It't more in the floor and vibrates through the steering column and body. I was attacking the simpler things first. I have replaced the front half shafts and have replace the tires with the appropriate balancing, etc. I have replace the front and rear U=joints on the drive shaft and had the shaft balanced. I was going to have the transfer case and its shafts checked next, but haven't had the resources to do it yet. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
i have the same shudder around 45-50 , my steering wheel shakes left to right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts