Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinions on the best way to get a stripped valve cover bolt out. Of course it's the one right against the fire wall on the driver side. The PO evidently tightened the living shit out of them and it stripped out and you can't get pliers or anything on it. E-z out, chisel the head off, or???

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Ok here is what I do it sounds nuts but I do it all the time. Get an air hammer and put a punch bit on it and feed your way through the brake hoses and such and hammer on it for just a second and it will back out with your fingers. Works like a charm every time

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
492 Posts
Need opinions on the best way to get a stripped valve cover bolt out. Of course it's the one right against the fire wall on the driver side. The PO evidently tightened the living shit out of them and it stripped out and you can't get pliers or anything on it. E-z out, chisel the head off, or???
Is the head rounded off because they make sockets for that
I have a set of snap ons they are awesome

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
When I did mine I stripped the first 2 I tried I had to use a pick to get all the shit out of the bolt then pound the allan key in, got them all after that, even the stripped 2

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used a chisel to notch the head of that bolt and then used a hammer and flat head screw driver to spin it with that notch.

·
All In
89 Posts
Had 1 this week on the pas side by the firewall. Top cover, no room. Used an external extractor & took a grinder to the outside of the extractor so it would fit. No room for anything else.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Try tapping the allen wrench into the head socket. That will also loosen the threads a little. I had some that were sloppy and that worked for me. Of course I replaced them all when I put it back together. Avail from a good hardware store.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! Yea there's definitely no room to get hardly anything in there. I'll go get the extractor and try it and hammering the Allen bit in there. Maybe she'll come out I hope!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts