Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I have an 05 6.6L 97k all stock. Never had many issues. Was my father in laws truck been serviced religiously. well taken care of. I picked up a tractor and some attatchments on a 3 hour one way trip, returned home. That night I ran it to the fuel light was home... late trip, figured i would fuel up on my way to work in the am... and did so. Drove 30 min to work, 30 min home, with the load. Changed clothes, started to the farm to unload and 1 mile from home it lost power as i pulled out at 30mph and check engine light came on. I immediately pulled over and it sounded like an old diesil tractor. I shut it off. Towed it home, checked fluids, fuel filer for water, none found... changed it anyway. by that time a couple hours passed... It started ran fine for 30 sec or so then same thing. after fooling for a min it seems as if it is having a blockage on fuel starving or such... I have no diagnostic tools. Unfortunately no one here can touch it for 2 to 3 months. Any suggestions... New to the duramax drivetrains. I am in a position to where I need the truck in a bad way... any help would be greatly appreciated, btw.... im wondering does the tank have a sock filter in line filter that im not aware of??

· Registered
2015.5 Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW
1,344 Posts
Might be no. 2 and 7 injector connectors.. left front and right rear.. Unplug them and plug back in and see if it helps..
Without codes this would be a guess.

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Couple summers ago I was pulling my 33' 5th wheel camping and the fuel light came on. We were only about 10 mins from the campground so I decided to push it as I didn't want to stop (mistake) since I know when the light comes on I still have 6ish gallons of fuel still left in the tank. Well started (high desert) up a grade to get to where we were going when suddenly I lost all power, and CEL came on. Luckily had a huge place to pull over, did so, tried taking off again and the truck just fell flat on its face. Shut her down, had my father in law take our kids and my wife with him to the campground and waited for a can of diesel to be brought to me. Filled up a bit, and got back on the road, everything ran fine and after getting the CEL cleared no further issues. Felt like an idiot and haven't done that again.

Now - for your case, and this is a guess, but perhaps you have air in the system. When you put in the new fuel filter did you bleed the system and prime it? A blockage as you suggested is also another good idea to look for, prob some nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank.

Good luck!

· Registered
7,473 Posts
To OP - When you change fuel filter (engine compartment), you need to loosen the bleed screw on the fuel filter head, pump the button the top until fuel comes in a fairly solid stream, then close the bleeder and keep pumping while trying to start. 2 people helpful. It takes some time and lots of pumping to fill that filter enough that the engine will pull the fuel into the CP3 and then on to the injectors. Having a lift pump is really nice in this situation because it takes the place of all that hand pumping.

Reactions: Hrogi

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To OP - When you change fuel filter (engine compartment), you need to loosen the bleed screw on the fuel filter head, pump the button the top until fuel comes in a fairly solid stream, then close the bleeder and keep pumping while trying to start. 2 people helpful. It takes some time and lots of pumping to fill that filter enough that the engine will pull the fuel into the CP3 and then on to the injectors. Having a lift pump is really nice in this situation because it takes the place of all that hand pumping.
bled the system before and had no air. gonna try the connectors on 2 and 7 then the fpr. I have fuel just acts like misfire or starving. thanks... will keep posted

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gonna try the connectors on 2 and 7 then the fpr. I have fuel just acts like misfire or starving. thanks... will keep posted

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple summers ago I was pulling my 33' 5th wheel camping and the fuel light came on. We were only about 10 mins from the campground so I decided to push it as I didn't want to stop (mistake) since I know when the light comes on I still have 6ish gallons of fuel still left in the tank. Well started (high desert) up a grade to get to where we were going when suddenly I lost all power, and CEL came on. Luckily had a huge place to pull over, did so, tried taking off again and the truck just fell flat on its face. Shut her down, had my father in law take our kids and my wife with him to the campground and waited for a can of diesel to be brought to me. Filled up a bit, and got back on the road, everything ran fine and after getting the CEL cleared no further issues. Felt like an idiot and haven't done that again.

Now - for your case, and this is a guess, but perhaps you have air in the system. When you put in the new fuel filter did you bleed the system and prime it? A blockage as you suggested is also another good idea to look for, prob some nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank.

Good luck!
gonna try the connectors on 2 and 7 then the fpr. I have fuel just acts like misfire or starving. thanks... will keep posted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.