Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way home today it was raining, decided to give her the beans and spin tire until about 4th, I'd say around 40 mph, and now the g80 is stuck locked, tried reversing her a little bit and nothing, any ideas of what I can do? Thanks in advance

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,559 Posts
That's pretty typical really. Most of the time when they break, they break locked and then won't let loose. Pop the diff cover off and you will probably find some small pieces of it laying in there. Time for an upgrade!

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I just removed a good g80 with 38,xxx miles on it and 3.73 gears out of my truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's like the worst timing if it needs to be fixed but I'll pop it off, hopefully I just killed the locking mechanism and not the spiders, I dont get what gm and eaton was thinking when they decided to put these diffs in 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons, you would've thought gm would've gone with the tracrite from dodge instead.
That's pretty typical really. Most of the time when they break, they break locked and then won't let loose. Pop the diff cover off and you will probably find some small pieces of it laying in there. Time for an upgrade!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It's like the worst timing if it needs to be fixed but I'll pop it off, hopefully I just killed the locking mechanism and not the spiders, I dont get what gm and eaton was thinking when they decided to put these diffs in 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons, you would've thought gm would've gone with the tracrite from dodge instead.
Theres nothing wrong with the G80 for its application. Its very good at what it does. Your "use" of it just greatly exceeds what it was designed to do :wink2:

Most owners will never see a failure of the G80 under normal use. You, and i, and most of this forum are not normal users though.

The G80 on my 01 worked flawlessly and i beat the hell out of that truck every chance i got. boosted launches, 4x4 on the highway, WOT from a stop regularly ect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, I dont think a dude hauling his toy hauler is gonna do a burnout into 4th hahaha, but I will admit the 10 bolt g80 is a very weak link, I had one in my tahoe and thing killed itself on stock size tires driving in ice
Theres nothing wrong with the G80 for its application. Its very good at what it does. Your "use" of it just greatly exceeds what it was designed to do [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]

Most owners will never see a failure of the G80 under normal use. You, and i, and most of this forum are not normal users though.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,559 Posts
The spiders wont be hurt, I'm sure. Just the locking gear or flyweight. And its not really a big deal, I know lots of those that never get addressed and just roll on with them engaged for a long time

·
Registered
128 Posts
I, too, have my G80 and 3.73s laying around if interested. Shipping that anchor can’t be cheap.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yup. Welcome to the club. The G80 is the best when it works, but if you abuse it doing burnouts and letting the thing bang into engagement with fast wheelspin, it'll grenade on ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts