Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2020 3500 went into walk mode/reduced power and message appeared to keep driving to regen filter. 4300 miles on our new truck.
260 miles later no change.
Sunday, no dealers open.

Monday morning check engine light came on and email arrived from GM to take it to the dealer.
2 forced regens cleared the alarms but next day it all repeated.

Returned truck to dealer and 10 days later the truck sits at the dealer awaiting replacement parts. May be another week and here we sit 1000 miles from home.

Nice folks at the dealer service dept doing their best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just topped 5600 miles on my 2020 3500, no regens. I've filled the DEF twice (after being told to by the rig), and had one oil change.

I am curious as to what caused you to need the regen . . . shorter drives? Longer drives? High idle time?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the issue?
We were headed to Montana for a 10 day vacation.
We are broke down dry camping. Wife flew back home
Vacation over. 2020 GMC 3500 Truck will have spent 2 weeks at the dealer so far,,,,

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
I just topped 5600 miles on my 2020 3500, no regens. I've filled the DEF twice (after being told to by the rig), and had one oil change.

I am curious as to what caused you to need the regen . . . shorter drives? Longer drives? High idle time?
There is no message when a normal regen occurs.

It only gives a message if it is having trouble with the regens.

If it wasn't regenerating, the DPF would likely be plugged (or near plugged) by now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Feel your pain with a brand new pickup and having problems like this plus ruining your vacation!
Keep us informed if you would please.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We have two incidents now this has happened.

Incident 2:

GMC Dealer had the truck over two weeks and we got the truck back Thursday.
The particulate - filter - regen exhaust system was replaced.
Incident 3:

Heading south on the I 15 truck went into reduced power and was only able to drive about 20 miles an hour.
72CCF69F-C956-47ED-BCD5-4F0BE0BC12DE.jpeg
625AB11D-A457-403D-8AFD-88400E7C7198.jpeg

We limped along the freeway shoulder towing a 20k trailer and got off in Nephi Utah.
1 mile from the freeway we got lucky and found the Rollin’ Home RV park.
They put us on a campsite.

Called the GM roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck.
The GM warranty is tow to a dealer up to 25 miles or closest.
So that meant Jurgensen GM in Ephraim, Utah.
Anyplace else it’ll be $600+ out of my pocket.
We’re already over $900 out of our pocket for this issue and still not resolved.

No sooner did the truck arrive at Juergensen GMC that we got a disturbing phone call from Juergensen GMC - Chevy that they don’t want to work on the truck. If we leave it they won’t get to It until September. “They have more important projects to work on” went the conversation.
I had no choice, this is all on GMC.
Scary.

So we booked the campsite into September and here we now sit and wait.
The 2020 GMC Denali will have been in the Dealer service from July through August into September except for two days that entire time from the way it looks now.

We’re 688 miles from home with a troublesome new $90.000 truck and a 20.000 lb trailer.
The free loaner car benny with the GM warranty Is no more.
No rental cars available here either.

We are in bad shape readers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple walked up to our campsite and they too have a new GMC.
It’s particulate system failed and the engine shut off completely.
They are also stranded.

A GM tech In the off-road forums told us its a chronic problem with no cure in site.
AAA wants $9200 to tow our trailer home.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OnStar(R)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow this is a gift that just keeps on giving.
I would be pissed also especially with a new pickup and all this happening.
Maybe some Forum members on here could do a relay on pulling your camper home for you.
State where you are at and where you need it pulled to and just maybe something can be arranged for you.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know if you have contacted GM customer care. If you haven't, then you need to get them involved.
Sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.
Too much to ask of folks.
Kind thought though, much appreciated.
We’ll keep at it with truck.
Eventually we’ll make it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Till September?

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova

·
Registered
677 Posts
Personally I'd be calling GM Customer Care about the dealer's attitude of "it's not important right now" more than anything else. I completely understand not wanting to make waves and be the squeaky wheel; I'm the exact same way. But in this case you have to go full Karen and ask for the manager. There are going to be bugs in a new platform, but the company still has the responsibility to make it right at a faster pace than sometime in September.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow! GM you need to shake up your dealers, totally unacceptable.

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if you have contacted GM customer care. If you haven't, then you need to get them involved.
Sorry about your luck.
Oh yeah GMC Customer Care is involved.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
30 Posts
So sorry to hear of your troubles! Nothing worse than the combination of a lousy dealership and the usual GM "Don't give a f*" attitude they have nowadays. I went through something similar with Paso Robles Chevrolet - almost a month for a simple repair. No loaner. Stopped answering my calls. When they saw me walk in, the service advisor would hustle out to the shop to avoid me. Sadly the GM customer "care" advocate was almost as miserable to deal with. Simple truth is that these manufacturers have figured out that treating people with decency and respect doesn't amount to much - GM, Ford, Ram - all are in a race to the bottom for customer service ratings. Sad thing is there are lots of people who work hard at these companies trying to build a good product, it's the corporate leadership and constant need to provide value to shareholders that dictates the "F* em" approach towards customers. Just look at the GM ignition switch fiasco...

When I bought my 2018 Ram truck, I actually called the dealership service department here locally in Southern Oregon and made up a warrantable repair on the truck I wanted to buy. Something like "The truck shuts off randomly" and asked how long to get me in for repair. The service department told me "about 6 weeks" So I called around until I found a service manager that said "Oh man, that sounds bad! We can get you in Friday. Does that work?" BINGO - went to Newberg Dodge and bought the truck :)

They are coming down hard on people who post bad reviews too. I wrote a nice long review on Paso Robles Chevrolet, then my wife said "Do you really want to end up paying lawyers to argue your point" so I took it down.

Really, as others have said, your only recourse is to contact a lemon-law attorney in the state you reside in, and ask what it would take to have them take your case. GM will eventually offer something of a "like-kind" exchange to avoid getting attorneys involved, but unless you really want another GM product (usually a trim-level lower is what they offered me) your best bet is to call around and find an attorney. One of them that I called in Oregon was willing to do all the paperwork for an $800 retainer. When $90k is on the line, it's worth knowing your rights.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts