Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sticky, you have my deepest respect for keeping a cool head. I would have lost my shit after a few days...
So are you going to drive it home now with the engine knock and take it to a local dealer for repairs? I'm thinking at this point it may be time for a new engine on GM's dime. I would definitely speak to a lawyer about lemon law and seeing if GM would buy it back from you. Your resale is shot, even with a new engine. You shouldn't have to eat that yourself.

pleasekeep us updated as to what happens from here

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would write a letter and clearly state the basic facts. Send and address your letter like this:

PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL
Mary T. Barra, Chairman and CEO
General Motors Corporation
407 E Fort St
Detroit, MI 48226

Of course, Mary will never actually receive and read your letter, but someone close to her will read your letter and ask the dealership what's going on and what can be done to get your truck, or a new truck, back to you quickly. Amazing what happens when someone from her office places a call and asks questions.

Remember, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Your attorney will thank you for your efforts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
The red flag was when the truck was delivered to the dealer new it had a lot of miles on it. That's a sign it failed something off the assembly line and was cut from the herd for repairs.
We've (my family) have owned GMC trucks since before WW2 with no issues. Strikes, shutdowns and restarts with never an issue so we figured probably ok.
Naah,,,patched up, sent out to be someones elses headache.

When it runs right it is the most excellent for towing our 22.000 lb toy hauler. Actually fun to drive. Perfect fit. When it runs right.

BTW: Last attempt the truck went into the Service Dept with over 3/4 tank of fuel. Givin back empty with the fuel gauge glowing red. Took just short of 35 gallons to refill.
The dealer was not happy to see our new Denali.

GM diesels just went on sale with big discounts. Ya wonder why. Nahhh, we know why.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is a horrible story! So sorry you have had to deal with this mess!!!! I’m close to selling my 07 LBZ and we are wanting to pick up a 2020... maybe I’ll wait for 2021! Good luck with it all and please update us as things work out!

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Man this whole situation is just mind boggling! I can’t believe what GM has put you guys thru! Now the engine is knocking real bad?? You have way more patience than most. Is GM going to cover the engine repairs?

This make me never want to buy a new truck, I will just keep my 2008 LMM.
My 08 does everything I need it to do. It is not as fancy and not as many bells and whistles as the newer trucks but it has not let me down either. That may be due to the fact that the emissions stuff fell off several years ago.

At this point you would be hard pressed to get me to part with this truck for the "joys" of owing a new one.

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just remember, we do live in a bubble on our forum here. We have far more people coming here looking for help with their vehicles than just stopping by to say how much they like their truck and how trouble free the experience has been.

·
Registered
793 Posts
^^^ What he said, I had been around a bunch of Duramax work trucks at work being used for...ya know, work, hell I thought they were the most bulletproof thing ever bolted together, a tank on rubber tires!!
Then I bought one and was happy as a pig in mud!!!! Joined this forum that night and after some reading I thought holy crap these things are JUNK :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another weekend has come and gone. Any updates OP?

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Registered
332 Posts
^^^ What he said, I had been around a bunch of Duramax work trucks at work being used for...ya know, work, hell I thought they were the most bulletproof thing ever bolted together, a tank on rubber tires!!
Then I bought one and was happy as a pig in mud!!!! Joined this forum that night and after some reading I thought holy crap these things are JUNK :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Well mine had the DEF reading low issue but has been fixed. A PITA yes but that has been it. No codes and now 35k my 2020 is the best oil burner I have ever owned--so far. I rub 35 inch ridge grapplers on my Denali and this is from running empty on the highway in SE NM and in far west Texas very flat. This is a rolling 50 mile average.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oh mines been trouble free as well other than a sloppy steering box covered under warranty and a DEF issue which I’m no longer terribly concerned about. She’s a beast and compared to how the trucks at work are treated I’d bet mine lives a very long and productive life. I’m sure Sticky’s situation is a freak occurrence but I can’t believe GM would let it drag on that long, shit give the man another truck already. I’d have already went full on peaceful protester and burnt the dealership down :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dive Bar, I may have missed it, are you still in the campground?

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
IMO Failed regen on these newer trucks is a fuel quality issue. What city and state did you buy fuel from? I have said it before in this forum, I am at a believe that the far western states sell an algea based bio fuel, state mandated. That fuel does not burn properly after engine in new exhaust emmision systems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO Failed regen on these newer trucks is a fuel quality issue. What city and state did you buy fuel from? I have said it before in this forum, I am at a believe that the far western states sell an algea based bio fuel, state mandated. That fuel does not burn properly after engine in new exhaust emmision systems.
Well I’m in SoCal, Ventura County... does it matter if you purchase larger name brand fuel, like Shell or chevron over the discount cheap ones? Is there an additive that helps with this? I’m very close to picking up a 2020 going from a hot rod of a LBZ. Not looking forward to the emission crap!

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Its a theory of mine...When I used to put many miles across country on the 2013. It seemed like every time fuel was bought in the far western states the truck would have regen problems.

From what I have heard Bio fuel does mositure the longer it sits. So a station that moves a lot of fuel is better. But what I mentioned before the problem still lies in the state Government requiring a percentage of the fuel to be from a "Green" Alternative source. And there is another problem of the multiple ways and new found ways/sources the bio fuel is made.

Personally the older generation trucks, from my expirences, are not as sensitive to fuel compared to the new ones. The LMM 2007 to 2010 used the engine in the regen process. These Problems discribed are all on trucks 2011 and newer where the fuel is injected at low pressure, after engine into the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its a theory of mine...When I used to put many miles across country on the 2013. It seemed like every time fuel was bought in the far western states the truck would have regen problems.

From what I have heard Bio fuel does mositure the longer it sits. So a station that moves a lot of fuel is better. But what I mentioned before the problem still lies in the state Government requiring a percentage of the fuel to be from a "Green" Alternative source. And there is another problem of the multiple ways and new found ways/sources the bio fuel is made.

Personally the older generation trucks, from my expirences, are not as sensitive to fuel compared to the new ones. The LMM 2007 to 2010 used the engine in the regen process. These Problems discribed are all on trucks 2011 and newer where the fuel is injected at low pressure, after engine into the exhaust pipe.
Yeah Cali is fucked up!!! My LBZ has been badass! Besides work trucks this next one will be first newer diesel I’ve owned, not looking forward to all the emissions shit but wifey wants a new one with some more bells n whistles, told her we can drop a new turbo in and get a cool horn that can do bell sounds but she said no... guess I get a new truck out of it so not all bad.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts