Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 LBZ.
I was driving tome today after work, and my truck started pulling to the right. I started to think that my tire was starting to deflate, then I started to smell smoke, I pulled off the road, and my passenger side caliper / pads were smoking! I let the breaks cool down, and when I tried to move the truck again, I can tell that that same break is stuck. So I called a tow tuck. What can cause this? I’ve been reading that I can have bad bub bearings. I’ve had the truck for 1 week. I have noticed that I can feel/hear something on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The last foot or so of the brake lines are rubber. They can and do collapse, starving the caliper of brake fluid. I had this exact problem on my lly.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Difference on mine was that it didn't really pull to the way of the failure noticeably. I noticed it when my stock transmission gauge jumped way, way high lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
The last foot or so of the brake lines are rubber. They can and do collapse, starving the caliper of brake fluid. I had this exact problem on my lly.
I also had a rubber brake line go bad on my LMM, my caliper was hanging up and I could smell the brakes burning. I would check and replace those first, not too expensive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I had the truck towed home, and the tow truck driver noticed that the tire rubbed against the ABS wire. The looked at the wire, and the wire was rubbed all the way down to where the two metal wires inside were exposed. Would that cause the break caliper to kick in?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
My truck 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 LBZ.
I was driving tome today after work, and my truck started pulling to the right. I started to think that my tire was starting to deflate, then I started to smell smoke, I pulled off the road, and my passenger side caliper / pads were smoking! I let the breaks cool down, and when I tried to move the truck again, I can tell that that same break is stuck. So I called a tow tuck. What can cause this? I’ve been reading that I can have bad bub bearings. I’ve had the truck for 1 week. I have noticed that I can feel/hear something on the steering wheel.

the caliper pistons can get stuck if the seal in them gets tweaked, probably requires a rebuild or replacement of the caliper to fix if that's the issue. This is where id put my money though.

The hose is under pressure and should not collapse, fuel lines collapse because they are under vacuum. The line may have deteriorated and failed internally, but it should not be collapsing. Either way, with hos cheap a stainless brake line kit is it would be a good idea to replace them anyway.

Thanks for the reply guys, I had the truck towed home, and the tow truck driver noticed that the tire rubbed against the ABS wire. The looked at the wire, and the wire was rubbed all the way down to where the two metal wires inside were exposed. Would that cause the break caliper to kick in?
i believe that would cause the truck to detect that wheel as 0 RPM, stabilitrak should not, to my knowledge at least, attempt to stop a wheel with 0 rotation. However if the wires shorting together causes the speed sensor to read as max RPM, then yes, the truck may attempt to compensate for the perceived slip condition by braking on that wheel.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I suppose that's a good point. Collapse or no collapse, they fail and starve the caliper. My problem disappeared as soon as I replaced the line and bled the brakes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. A little update. I jacked up the truck and tried to spin the wheel, and I was not able to, so removed the wheel and opened the bleed valve on the caliper. Then I was able to spin the rotor freely. I just got a good deal on a used caliper. it should be arriving in the mail soon. I’m going to replace the caliper/ rotors/ abs cable pads, and the brake hose. Let’s see what happens afterwards. It’s just strange that something like this happened. I’ve never seen this happen to anyone before.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. A little update. I jacked up the truck and tried to spin the wheel, and I was not able to, so removed the wheel and opened the bleed valve on the caliper. Then I was able to spin the rotor freely. I just got a good deal on a used caliper. it should be arriving in the mail soon. I’m going to replace the caliper/ rotors/ abs cable pads, and the brake hose. Let’s see what happens afterwards. It’s just strange that something like this happened. I’ve never seen this happen to anyone before.
if the rubber line is shot, pressure from the hydroboost will make it to the piston, but pressure can get stuck in the caliper when you take your foot off the brake, this would keep some pressure on the piston and drag the pads on the rotor. This can also happen in the seal in the piston rolls, but releasing the pressure at the bleeder would be unlikely to fix that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I released the pressure from the Caliper, I was not sure it would let the rotor loose. But, it worked. I'm not going to take any chances, so Im going to replace a lot of parts. I don't want this to happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.