Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbos vanes are stuck so I am looking to change it out. My question is my truck is stock right now I am planning on doing a 4" exhaust MBPR, EGR delete EGR cooling delete, fuel filter head spacer, and maybe 3" innercooler pipes. So with that all done I know ill have codes flying, but will my truck run (without a programmer)? And if so what should i do with the turbo I am NOT wanting to put a tranny in though. I have been quoted by fleece $800 for a rebuild. Is that the way or should I do somthing else? And also are my mods in the right area or wasting my $$$ or is there something else I sould be working on first?

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
You can get a brand new stock replacement charger for a little more money. If you wanted a small upgrade you could do a Garrett 3794anvt. We have installed a few of them for guys whose stock turbo failed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the garret going to give me whistling. And also can I up grade my stock turbo?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im a newbie to the forum, I have a 05 lly im doing right now, pulled the turbo and cleaned the vanes. easy to clean but removal was a pain. The vanes was binding due to carbon but not as bad as i exspected. Ive been throwing a p0045 code and I tow very heavy loads but my truck falls on its face when i hit a hill so im thinking the vanes might be sticking. My truck has a 190000 on it so I figard cleaning the turbo couldnt hurt. I dont have access to many scanners or tools so I havent performed any test on the solenoid its self. Im wanting to know if vanes was the problem, would it throw the p0045 code? Im not done hooking everything back up yet, but was curious and Ive read alot of forums where u guys seam to have alot of knowledge. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vanes where what went bad the maid code I throw was a p003a I think is what it was but also the other signs I seen where really bad fuel economy like 12 baby in it. So prior to me condemning my turbo I took it to a old Chevy dealer told them I thought my vanes where stick and paid them $65+ tax to trouble shoot my turbo. Cause I am the same as you I don't have the tools to check. Also when my truck was at idel it would sound kinda like the AC was on in the end it was my sensor trying to find the vanes location.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
The Garrett GT3794anvt will have a very loud whistle. They can modify the stock turbo and make it a Cheetah. But buying the GT3794anvt would be cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts