Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a stupid fuck ing vibration that is driving me crazy that i cant find under the steering wheel. Im leterally ready to blow up my truck!!!!! It does it all the time especially when im on the highway or at a stopsign or light .... Any ideas what it could be and if anybody else has this problem !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
My LBZ used to vibrate from the panel under the steering wheel. There are 2 layers in it with a metal liner so pushing on it does nothing, take it off your truck and shoot full of some expanding foam. I bet your rattle goes away.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My LBZ used to vibrate from the panel under the steering wheel. There are 2 layers in it with a metal liner so pushing on it does nothing, take it off your truck and shoot full of some expanding foam. I bet your rattle goes away.
are u talking about the cover right below the steering wheel that is held on by 2 nuts

·
Banned
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
how about the good ol steering shaft replacement guys!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the same problem mine turned out to be the heat shiled under the dash there is a how to write up on it in the forum section DIYs and How toos

·
Registered
237 Posts
heat shield sorry

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Just take the panel off and go for a ride.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Is it a clunk or an actual sound of something vibrating against something. All Chevy/GMC's from trucks to tahoes have the intermediate steering shaft (clunk/play) issue. Where everytime you hit a bump or come to a stop it feels/soundslike your steering shaft is loose.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Recall on the sterring shaft.... sorry to say, but we had ours done and it came back 5 miles later... i found on another forum about drilling into the shaft and shotting about 100 pumps of grease into it... solved the problem.... guy has running it for 4 yrs like that and not a bump/noise/vibration....

I will try to find it when i get home tonight

·
Registered
287 Posts
Recall on the sterring shaft.... sorry to say, but we had ours done and it came back 5 miles later... i found on another forum about drilling into the shaft and shotting about 100 pumps of grease into it... solved the problem.... guy has running it for 4 yrs like that and not a bump/noise/vibration....

I will try to find it when i get home tonight
I'm not familiar w/how the steering column works, but I am w/grease. And grease breaks down and tends to liquify after excessive heat and time.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it actually clanks and shit when i hit a bump to almost like a bad hub and when i turn it like makes a noise to sometimes is there any way i can for sure tell the shaft is bad??? i am also taking the panel off now so well see how that goes

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just looked for the diy about the heatshield found it about the nbs truck but not the obs truck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts