Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made it to work this morning, but I'm not sure how. I was driving down the highway in heavy rain and a car pulled out in front of me, I slammed my brakes and swerved barely missing them and hit something on the shoulder, (I should've just hit the car). 5 miles down the highway I turn off to get to work pull into a parking spot and my wheels turn to go into the spot, then I hear a pop, and the steering wheel turns freely not turning wheels. I'm grateful to be at work, but its still raining so I haven't been able to see what is broken. When the rain lets up, Ill see what I can and get pics. Hopefully its nothing major and I can fix in the parking lot.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,566 Posts
Don't turn the wheel too far! It could cost you a fair amount more if you have to replace the clockspring if you turn too far and break it. Sounds like the impact my have weakened the pitman arm and then broke it going to park. Good thing that didn't happen on the road, makes for a very dangerous situation

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I could see myself spinning the wheel all the way around without thinking about that. Good tip!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Yup Pitman Arm snapped the shaft. Thank God it happened when I was pulling in to the parking spot and not while going 60 mph down the highway. I could do the job myself in my own shop, but Id have to pay to get it towed there, a local shop just picked it up with their rig and quoted me $175 plus the part. I told them to use Moog, if they could find one local. I hope that's all it is but they will check the alignment also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Damn, that's scary stuff. Glad to hear you dodged the bullet.

I've seen lots of bent A arms/axles, broken ball-joints, spindles, tie-rods, etc but never heard of pitman arms snapping unless it was in a really severe accident.

This is the second one I've heard abt recently. The other one snapped at parking lot speed too.

Was that the OEM pitman arm?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts