Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally installing my system, the box is my final piece. What is everyone putting under their rear seats? Id like to see homemade and bought enclosures. I think i ll be making a custom enclosure, for 2 10's or a single 12... still deciding if i want to give up the storage. Anyways, just looking for ideas. Also, where are you mounting amps?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I am finally installing my system, the box is my final piece. What is everyone putting under their rear seats? Id like to see homemade and bought enclosures. I think i ll be making a custom enclosure, for 2 10's or a single 12... still deciding if i want to give up the storage. Anyways, just looking for ideas. Also, where are you mounting amps?

Id put the amps behind the rear seat on the back wall, the decision to screw through the wall (kinda trashy), drill the wall, install nut certs and bolt the amps down (less trashy) or make an amp rack that you secure to existing bolts is up to you, that space is pretty much wasted otherwise and its easy to keep your wires neat and out of the way back there.

for the boxes, the prefabs are all pretty much equally bad, no mater what brand you get the quality will range from firewood to passable, but ive not seen a prefab that was awesome. That said, If your willing to get your hands dirty (which it sounds like you are), a prefab does give you all the conveniently cut and shaped parts to fit the seat and floor, and were you to strip the carpet, and wrap the box in a couple layers of glass, it would be much stronger, wouldent leak, and wouldent look like a mangy poodle.

If you want to go full custom though, the sky is the limit, just remember, these three rules, if you think you sanded enough, keep sanding. if you think you mixed the resin enough, keep mixing, and if you think you masked the carpet off enough, put a couple more layers of tape down. Its all fun and games until your unfinished box gets glued to the floor. At that point additional options, like glassing the subs into the rear doors to eliminate the loss of storage space also become an option, this it HARD to make sound good though, lots of shit to vibrate in our doors. Theres little loss here, since the rear full range speakers provide little of your front seat sound.

for the speakers, 10-12" doesent have a huge impact on sound quality. The 10 will be a little more comfortable at higher frequencies than the 12, but the 12 will typically produce lower frequencies better. That said, the deck, amp filters and speaker are probably going to limit you to a minimum of 40 ish hz, so that benefit of the 12 is less relevant. The 12 gives you a little harder "punch" than the 10 at the same power level but its harder to fit in the box, and the amount of air space lost to the larger speaker may become a factor to consider, since airspace is already a premium in the truck boxes.

from a sound quality perspective, 1 speaker is better, as there is no chance a phasing issue with a second speaker will cause destructive interference, but the total energy output of the box is lower. odd numbers are better than even for this same reason, but if you want to run 2 it will be fine, it would just not be the typical audiophile option, plenty good for the rest of us though.

TLDR:

go with a single 10 in the box and keep some storage space, we dont have much and it sucks to lose it all.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for all the info. Im going to be putting the amp on the rear wall like you said. should be plenty of breathing room back there. Still trying to decide between a single 10 or 12... any links to good prefabbed enclosures? i just want to weigh all my options. I do have a great option if i want to go custom, but it is pricey (of course).

What are people running as far as a single 10? im running analpine pdx-9 , about 500w for the sub.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
thanks for all the info. Im going to be putting the amp on the rear wall like you said. should be plenty of breathing room back there. Still trying to decide between a single 10 or 12... any links to good prefabbed enclosures? i just want to weigh all my options. I do have a great option if i want to go custom, but it is pricey (of course).

What are people running as far as a single 10? im running analpine pdx-9 , about 500w for the sub.

the speaker you choose is going to be limited by the box you decide to go with, a custom glass box will likely have a bit more air space and depth than a MDF box (since you lose at least 1 inch if not 1.5" to wood on top and bottom) So determining what box style you want would be the best place to start. This helps determine if you are limited to slim subs, or if you have the depth for a full sized sub which would give you a lot more options. Generally on the 10's its a toss if they will fit in a prefab wood box or not, apparently rulers work differently wherever they make these boxes.

Personally, i would run the 10, it will need less air, it will have a little wider frequency range and if you match everything right, will be about as powerful as a comparable 12 with a smaller footprint and depth.

As for the amp heat issue, unless your running the amp at 1 ohm (and even then its probably fine) i would not worry about head back there, plenty of air space, and the heat will just rise up the back of the wall towards the glass. Bonus defroster! If you are running a 1 ohm setup, they can get awfully hot, it would be smart to run it in a little, check the temp and make sure that things dont run away down there.

the most consistently OK prefabs i have found are Atrend and QLogic but they are all pretty meh in my experience. Both will likely require some extra glue, at minimum a bead around the inside to seal it if you go with a sealed box, and id put a few extra screws in it just because im 99% sure they are brad nailed together with minimal glue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to go with a JL TW5 in a sealed box. Fits perfectly under the rear seat. This thing is pretty amazing, being so thin and how well it sounds. I got a killer deal on it, pretty excited. Couple more days and the truck should be back in one piece and sounding good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.