Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving in traffic at around 40 mph and all of a sudden the throttle is not responding at all !! Truck is still idling fine at around 700~800 RPM. Nothing is rough. When the truck would run earlier it has plenty of power and fires on all cylinders. But today while driving throttle just quit responding. I used the trucks momentum to change lanes and parked into a lot after cutting in front of few cars. It was dangerous as it was in heavy traffic.

After parking I turned off and turned on the keys to the ignition and it started working fine. Drove about 5 miles and it did it again. When it drives it drives good. No rough idling. But looks to someone is cutting off the gas pedal. As soon as I turn the vehicles off and then on things work again. Boost gauge shows plenty boost when it runs.

Only thing I did is I cleaned the MAF sensor just now. Did not hook it up to the diagnostics yet. Will do it as soon as I get back from work. I never changed or touched the FPRV since factory or did anything to it. I do not have any external fuel pump/filter like FASS or anything like that. All my fuel lines are factory.
Could it be electrical ? I am running PPE level 2 thats all. If electrical or gas pedal related what should I be checking ?

Any suggestions ? I am clueless at this point. Truck had been running like a champ other than this.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think it's your MAF. Do you have a K&N or oiled filter? Mine does the same thing. It throws a MAF code. As soon as I clear the code it drives good. I have cleaned mine several times but I think it's time I replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's your MAF. Do you have a K&N or oiled filter? Mine does the same thing. It throws a MAF code. As soon as I clear the code it drives good. I have cleaned mine several times but I think it's time I replace it.
Thanks for your response.

Well I did not clear any codes yet. Not sure what they are at this point. I am yet to hook this up to the diagnostics. After this happened twice this morning I checked the MAF physically which is on the air intake and blew some dust off of it and then put it back. Did not run the truck it since. Not sure if blowing dust off of the MAF would help though. Mine is a AIRAID intake but the filter seems like its K&N. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The oil from the filter will stick to the MAF and make it act funny. I would switch to a dry filter. This is very common.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil from the filter will stick to the MAF and make it act funny. I would switch to a dry filter. This is very common.
I did not clean the inside of the MAF sensor. All I did was pull the connector out and blew on it. I am guessing you mean I need to take it off and clean the portion of MAF that is sticking inside the air intake. I'll do that next.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I plugged in the PPE Tuner to read codes. It says No DTCs found. The tuner allows to check throttle position. I pressed on the pedal all the way and the tuner said its 99.2%. Let it go and it says 0% so I don't think that TPS is an issue.

Bought a CRC MAF Sensor cleaner, opened and cleaned the MAF sensor real good. Didn't look very dirty but it could have used some cleaning.

Took the Air Filter off (mine is Airaid air filter ) and looked like it was greasy and dirty. Sprayed the thing with Engine degreaser and later used 2 full cans of brake cleaner to clean the heck out of that filter. It literally changed color from dark greasy brown to pale white. Waited like 15 minutes and started it and the engine sounded funny at startup (probably due to sucking in of the remaining brake cleaner.) Turned normal in a few seconds. Now I feel the throttle response has dramatically improved.

Not sure if the issue is fixed though. I'll keep an eye and update if it happens again.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well I plugged in the PPE Tuner to read codes. It says No DTCs found. The tuner allows to check throttle position. I pressed on the pedal all the way and the tuner said its 99.2%. Let it go and it says 0% so I don't think that TPS is an issue.

Bought a CRC MAF Sensor cleaner, opened and cleaned the MAF sensor real good. Didn't look very dirty but it could have used some cleaning.

Took the Air Filter off (mine is Airaid air filter ) and looked like it was greasy and dirty. Sprayed the thing with Engine degreaser and later used 2 full cans of brake cleaner to clean the heck out of that filter. It literally changed color from dark greasy brown to pale white. Waited like 15 minutes and started it and the engine sounded funny at startup (probably due to sucking in of the remaining brake cleaner.) Turned normal in a few seconds. Now I feel the throttle response has dramatically improved.

Not sure if the issue is fixed though. I'll keep an eye and update if it happens again.
That air filter is designed to have a little oil on it. Without the oil it will not filter properly. I would buy a dry filter or non serviceable filter and replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That air filter is designed to have a little oil on it. Without the oil it will not filter properly. I would buy a dry filter or non serviceable filter and replace it.
Agreed. My current filter is pretty much stripped of all oil and partly bleached after the brutal cleaning I did last night.

I'm getting one of these dry filters.

AMSOIL AMSOIL Ea Universal Air Induction Filters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts