Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought an 03' Duramax with the Edge Juice w Attitude monitor, 5 inch MRB Exhaust straight from the turbo, with pyrometer and boost A pillar gauges....Workin on purchasing a custom air intake, but in the meantime wondering what everyone does in the truck pulls if you are familiar with the Juice w attitude...Like i said im young and brand new in this sport, so answers for questions such as 4 Hi, or 4 Lo, which setting of the 5 to have the Edge module on, and is it true to not punch the accelerator until you see the weights shifting forward on the sled. Also, any other upgrade recommendations? Thanks guys!! P.S. had this baby on a floor dyno on setting 5---- it read 437 rwhp and 891 lb. ft. torque...I was happy!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i not an expert in this matter but those are perty impressive numbers on the rollers.i also notice that you are planning on buying an aftermarket air box,but unless you have a turbo upgrade you won't gain anything in horse or performance.i have yet to pull my truck but i hope to change that this summer.ps i would run the truck as is unless you want more power,just my 2 cents

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
keep us posted on what happens,such as 1/4 mile times and sled pulilng.nice truck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments and info guys!!! I appreciate it....Guess i will read up on the owners manual and see how fast u can go in 4 LO..someone told me 20mph was max but im not sure with a diesel. Thanks again!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i ran my truck in 4 hi down the road doing 55mph and it ran fine.i don't know if that is suggested under load

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im used to running highway speeds in 4 hi with all the midwestern snow this year---some ppl have recently told me to run 4 LO in truck pulls as this is where most of your torque shows and will not be exceeding 20 mph more than likely. Thanks!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes when your in 4hi you dont want to really be going faster than 55mph and in 4lo definetly dont go faster than 20mph and thats pushing it, i would say 15 to be safe, that gear is mainly for getting out of a pickle, so i would say 20mph in 4 lo is max, also you need to be in nuetral or park when you switch to 4lo even if you have shift on the fly, only 4hi will engage while moving. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone else run 1/4 mile in 4 hi? I know I go faster than 55 at least I hope so.

·
Registered
132 Posts
messr84,

what part of illinois are you from? i bought my 01 this winter and i'm planning on pulling it a couple times in 08 once i get a trans, sleeves, centerlink, and all the other stuff. i just turned 20 so i'm still learnin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
messr84,

what part of illinois are you from? i bought my 01 this winter and i'm planning on pulling it a couple times in 08 once i get a trans, sleeves, centerlink, and all the other stuff. i just turned 20 so i'm still learnin.
Hey I live south of rockford about 40 miles, i see you are from sandwich which is about an hour and a half at most. probably going to run it in a few county fairs, myself only being 22 am brand new at this too!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a dodge set up for truck pulling i always ran in 4LO otherwise you dont have enough torque you are going to probably exceed 20 but you'll be fine, been there done that. The 4HI thing i usually exceed 55 with it too, like drag racing or running from home here to Indianapolis to plow snow. There was 4 of us running together pushing snow and we would jump on 465 and 65S. and be running 70 and 80 you'll be fine.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
You want to run 4 lo 3rd gear while pulling, this will net you between 20 26 mph down the track dependingon traction and power! the reason for 3rd gear it that in third the tq converter will lock so you wont cook the trans! As for running 4x4 hi at speed i've had mine up to 104mph in 4x4! If i take it out it will spin when i shift and the 4x4 wont release while under load wether you push the button or not!

Unless you have a manual trans, i pull in 4th low!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info on the 4 lo--we got hammered with snow last nite so i put it in 4 LO today to see what it was like and the torque was there all along!! i appreciate all the feedback!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts