Votes: 2 3.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 3.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys need some mass input here. basically in the next 2-4 weeks i will have enough money to make a big purchase, i.e transmission or injectors. here's my cases for both:
transmission: i know it's on limited time i limped it more than once and its gonna die just a matter of when, i can feel it when i drive. transmission dies and it can leave me hanging
injectors:are going out, no fuel in oil, no white smoke, idles rough though and its out of spec.
right now it looks like i will have money left over to spare so i can put it towards which ever one above i do not choose. as much as i may catch cane for it, i want to get the transmission done, because while i got friends who can help me with injectors i don't feel comfortable doing the transmission. but i'm gonna have a poll going. vote for what you want. if you have input please leave it.
right now my planned immediate purchases are the nicktane fuel adapter, and the haynes 5 vol chevy service manual.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
how out of spec are the injectors? have you tried doing the injector cleaner stuff yet?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did and it didn't really do much :/ so i got some diesel kleen to run through it yet. i changed the fuel filter too so thats out of the equation here's a copy of my log View attachment drive1 - Copy.zip
for those that don't have efi(i know i was bad and it is in drive, cold)
1: 7.38
2: -3.00
3:1.05
4:-2.30
5:2.08
6:-2.80
7:-5.83
8:3.56
i mean unless i am reading the wrong thing, i recorded balance rates(mm3) and pulse rates (ms)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you goof balls vote :) 3 replies to 20 views :) bump

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if those are in drive i really wouldnt be too worried yet, looks like only 1 is out and 7 is on its way out

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if those are in drive i really wouldnt be too worried yet, looks like only 1 is out and 7 is on its way out
thats what i thought too kinda..whats the tolerance rate for "drive"

brandon on another note, i know i ask you lotsa dumbass diesel questions sometimes at random times, but i gotta thank you for your help man, you represent yourself and husker very well...:drink

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
drive is +/-6 and park is +/-4

and always happy to help man, most of em are questions i asked too at some point

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'd probably lean towards the trans first.. like you said, it would get you stuck hard, whereas the injectors will be an ongoing process..

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Looking at the log, its gonna be hard to say on injectors. There were moments there when the specs went to 0.00. At least on my end.

Mine did that before all the time, I had to relash the whole tune and it stopped doing it.

You really need to log it when the truck is warmed up. As it warms up the truck will get more and more into spec.

Personally I would get a trans and be done with it. You can always skimp a bit on injectors later (IE do one bank at a time or even just change the bad injectors only) Can't really skimp on a trans.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the log, its gonna be hard to say on injectors. There were moments there when the specs went to 0.00. At least on my end.

Mine did that before all the time, I had to relash the whole tune and it stopped doing it.

You really need to log it when the truck is warmed up. As it warms up the truck will get more and more into spec.

Personally I would get a trans and be done with it. You can always skimp a bit on injectors later (IE do one bank at a time or even just change the bad injectors only) Can't really skimp on a trans.
what do you mean by relash the tune? and i know about it warming up, but i kinda figured seeing them "cold" would show me the bottom end of them if that makes sense....

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Meant reflash sorry...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just the 5 minute reflash correct?
just curious what exactly does that do to help the balance rates/readings?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
couldnt tell you, but mine would zero themselves out while running and that fixed it for mine so it would show all specs all the time.

Yes a full Flash.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
i say tranny, just because you can do the injectors later as stated those will be cheaper

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Do the transmission now-- it is like a good foundation for anything-- then you can do the others, as the $$ comes in.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Build transmission yourself and do injectors too.

If you have to choose id do tranny.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Build transmission yourself and do injectors too.

If you have to choose id do tranny.
i actually thought about doing this, but i've heard a lot of horror stories about people building their own transmissions, if i felt mechanically comfortable it wouldn't be a question

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my lb7. I only have one injector that is borderline, but my ppe stage 4 trani is on the way anyway!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts