Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a sulfur like stench in the cab of my truck. Its really bad when it is idling. At first I thought I had stinky passengers, but later realized it was coming from the truck. LOL. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?? I did just install an egr blocker plate a few weeks ago. could it be an exhaust leak? did not think diesels smelled like that though. and I thought my ECM tune turned the egr off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? bad batteries? That is probably what it is, because I do need new batteries. truck has been dead last two mornings. just gotta find time to put new batteries in. But why would bad batteries make that kind of smell?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
That is just what happens when they are shot, they smell like rotten eggs it must be the sulfer in the battery acid? Look at the shape of the batteries when you remove them they will be misshapen

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ill second the batteries i seen a set that was venting off checked the voltage and it was 28 volts:eek: no idea why. think they shorted inside maybe

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Lunch

I just noticed a sulfur like stench in the cab of my truck. Its really bad when it is idling. At first I thought I had stinky passengers, but later realized it was coming from the truck. LOL. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?? I did just install an egr blocker plate a few weeks ago. could it be an exhaust leak? did not think diesels smelled like that though. and I thought my ECM tune turned the egr off.
What did you have for lunch?....Tuna egg salad sandwiches causes the same problem in my truck...Once I roll down all the windows for a bit the problem goes away...:drink

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, thanks 1953drtelco. well I guess I know what the problem is then. thanks everyone. never knew batteries would do that. guess I learn something new everyday.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Yeah it happened to me about 6 years ago in my first dmax,it sat for about 3 months so i thought at first it was bad fuel but soon realized it was the batteries.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Batteries are filled with Sulphuric Acid. When they are shorting, a sulfur gas is emitted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a bad smell too. I was towing my boa home from Tennessee and I stopped at a light and the smell was so strong it made me sick to my stomach. It was 97 degrees out. I got out to investigate and found some fluid all over my wheel well, drivers side front. I limped into the GMC dealer in Knoxville who told me I blew the Vent hose on my crank case. I thought replacing the hose would clear up the smell figuring the oil had gotten on the engine or exhaust and would burn off. 2,000 miles late the smell is still bad. Threw a code for my DEF (Which I have a constant problem with and GMC refuses to help) and a code for Knock sensors. My new Service dealer says the smell may have come form the knock sensors. Still investigating., BYW truck has gone through two complete DEF systems, an exhaust filter and sensors and 3 Cat converters in less than 50K miles. What a heap of crap! And to make it even better. the GMX Customer service rep just told me that she spoke with the sdealer when I questioned that the smell may be coming from the Converter and she called me back to tell me the "You don't need no CADILAC Converter!" Yikes!!!! GMC 3500HD Denali Dually

1 - 10 of 10 Posts