Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who run a Super Chips programer might want to read and think on this.

Truck sat over a long weekend with the GPS on. Tuesday morning was going to hook up to our big trailer and move some heavy stuff around so went to put it in the "tow" mode. Plugged in and about halfway through the programing the programer locked up and displayed the message to call Super Chips. Unplugged it and tried to start the engine. Nothing. All I could do was roll the windows up and down and listen to the radio. Did not even try to start. Finally got ahold of Super Chips. Their advice was to get it to a Chevy/GM dealer and reflash the computer. Called a roll back and away we went. At the Chevy dealer the service manager got me right in as this ws a work truck, I didn't tell him anything excpet that it wouldn't start. Walked in back and told the tech exactly what happened. He reflashed the computer and I was on my way.
Reason why I had a problem..........Low/weak battery. Replaced the batteries and all is well again.
Cost me $40.00 for a ride to the dealer, $100.00 for the dealer to reflash the computer and Super Chips did what they had to do to make my programer work again.

Lesson here is to be sure to have a good charge in you batteries before atempting to do any programing with Super Chips.

They folks at Super Chips were pretty good, I was pretty hot when I called and they handled it well. Chevy was pretty understanding about it all too.

By the way, doesn't hurt at all to slip the techs a twenty every once in a while to show your appreciation of their hard work.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That is true of any handheld programmer. That is why some of them have you remove fuses and such. At least the dealer didn't give you a hard time about the programmer. Sounds like you have a decent one.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Yeah good advice for doing any ECM reflash, it takes lots of power to flash the ecm so its a good idea to have fully charged batteries!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts