Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2005 LLY duramax. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with surging during idle in nuetral or in gear. Have checked with OB2 reader and had into Chevy dealer and found no codes. But still continues to do it. Can anyone direct us in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surging Duramax

Thanks for you reply but the fuel filter has been changed everytime the
truck is serviced , that was the cure the Chev dealer said even when
we just installed a new one they changed it again . Still has the surge
I find in our area the Chev dealers are not up on the diesel trouble
diagnose

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator to me. Why didn't the dealer diagnose the problem any further?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There's air going in the fuel systerms. open the bleeder top of fuel filter and pump the pump see if air comes out. then close it once you see just fuel and no air. then pump the pump once or twice it should get hard to pump where can't pump any more. no more air. wash off the top the filter. See if you see leakage arould the filter. It's easy to mess up that seal on top. DAN

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an 2005 LLY duramax. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with surging during idle in nuetral or in gear. Have checked with OB2 reader and had into Chevy dealer and found no codes. But still continues to do it. Can anyone direct us in the right direction.
your dealer can do a reflash for the issue. It is a problem in the fueling tables. Very common in the Early LLY.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surging Duramax

Again the truck is in the mechanic at first said they have been not having any problems with the 05 LLY but this time they looked into the problem and there is a flash for the 05 LLY but the truck after the flash still does the same Surging . They this time say that it is not right but don't know what to do to correct the problem.
I as one of the return messages that I had said the the Fuel pressure reg.
might be the cause and they are not sure as also I am just off warranty
by a a few Miles they will not cover the cost .
I told them to just repair it and I will pay the cost and all they keep saying is it could be expensive repair I just want it fixed .
We are getting frustrated with this .

·
Registered
192 Posts
I told them to just repair it and I will pay the cost and all they keep saying is it could be expensive repair I just want it fixed .
We are getting frustrated with this .
you are going to get a lot more frustrated, as they nickel and dime you to death with incompetence.

Can you find someone with efilive who can do an idle log? I can diagnose that. For free. If it is fuel pressure related, it will show up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surging Duramax

you are going to get a lot more frustrated, as they nickel and dime you to death with incompetence.

Can you find someone with efilive who can do an idle log? I can diagnose that. For free. If it is fuel pressure related, it will show up.

Hey Thanks for your help you just get pissed at dealing with these guys
i Will be checking around tomorrow and I will let you know .
I told the dealer just to replace it and they started saying thats not it .
They finally admited there is a problem but don't know what .

Thanks again

·
Registered
192 Posts
if you find someone who can log your truck, PM me with your email address, i will send along brief instructions on what PIDs to log. You can then send me the log file.

I have a good feeling that your issue is simple. When I messed with the fuel tables, I induced these oscillations/surging in the fuel pulse tables. It is pretty easy to see in the logs. GM never really did a a good job with the surge reflash IMO.

Is it enough that your rpm jumps around a bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
05 Lly

Mine is doing the same thing in gear only. RPM fluctuates about 200 rpm's. Do not notice on the road just when stopped and in gear. Chev dealer told me I need to replace the fuel pressure regulator valve for $900.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bad diesel is where I get my surging. finish the tank and fill it up where I know theres good diesel and it goes away. Drives me nuts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Surging

Hello, i am new to the forum, i have a 2003 Sierra 2500 HD. I have a surging problem.....i have been reading the post on here for a few weeks now to see if anyone had the same issue that i do so far i see lots that are similar but everything i see on here about surging seems to be at an idle. My truck seems to be fine other than being a little loud and the surge i have is on the highway with the cruise set can't really tell it at 55 or below but anything above that is obvious and maybe a slight loss in power but minimal........still very strong! I am very close to ordering an FPR but want to see if anyone had any input before i do. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Finding someone with EFI Live is a real problem. For 2 years I have not found anyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you get you problem fixed? I am hoping to find some solutions here before I jump into mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well changed my fuel filter thought that fixed it at first but no......anymore ideas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator, almost positive.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would agree, fpr.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Mine did that up at speed tonight, the turbo vanes were sticking. I'm wondering if it was from getting my egt's way up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the advice I will get an fpr and try that. Where is the least expensive place to purchase one?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts