Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:helpm
i have been dealing with the same problem for a while.... have changed filter cleaned maf, new air filter, tried different additives?... idles fine surges under partial load clears out for the most part at wot when in high rpm's.... surges the worst in tow haul under load at lower rpm's... my fuel rail psi will be about 5k at idle and will hit 23-25k at wot? any advice will be appreciated

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Your FPR fuel pressure regulator is going bad, watch your fuel pressure when it is surging. I bet it is jumping 1,500 psi when it acts up. The fpr can be purchased from the vendors on here, I think they are around 200 bucks and you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I have heard that before but. Haven't really had the funds to get one... I looked for a used one I can hopefully get ones soon! Thanks for the info... how hrs is it going to be to do myself.... the reason I ask is I'm living in an apartment now and will have to do it in the parking lot! Lol

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Find a garage to do it in. It is pretty labor intensive, it takes about 4 hrs if you know what your doing. The first time takes a little longer, and you will need some swivel headed ratchets.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol ten 4 guess i'll be making a trip back home for a weekend!!! thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've been driving it like this for a while... i know probably not a good idea but i haven't really had the choice. but is that really bad for it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did mine couple weeks ago.....not to bad to do just take your time and DONT drop anything into the valley for you will spend hours looking for it! Have lots of different extentions handy foe each of the three tourqe bit screws requires something different for removing them. You may want to think about replacing all your rubber fuel lines while your ther too.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
I would look for a write up on it and purchase the tools to do it myself. You will save a couple hundred bucks on labor and get more tools to boot.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be doing it at my buddy garage so he will already have all the tools and he's gonna help me prob still gonna print out the write up on it to have just in case!

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
It won't hurt it to drive with it surging, but at some point the surge will get so bad it will want to jump forward when it gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts