Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. When I bought my truck back in January I took it within a few hundred miles and had a leveling kit, CCM off road ucas, bilstein shocks, and 35 inch tires. Ever since then I have had a low speed clunking noise when thing down a gravel road. Don't notice it at high speeds. I've had it back to the shop that done the work and I've been under the truck a couple times myself and can't find anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue after a level kit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have a level or lift kit, but mine has a very subtle bump or knocking noise at low speeds on gravel roads or going thru pasture. Had it looked at by dealer but of course it's just me, they can't replicate it. Seems like it's coming from front drivers side. It kind of sounds like a ball joint that is not worn out but just a little loose. Although I can't find anything loose on it myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it seems exactly like what I'm hearing with my new to me 2017. I've read many other threads, but they all describe it a little different. I think this is the only description that sounds exactly like mine.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hello all. When I bought my truck back in January I took it within a few hundred miles and had a leveling kit, CCM off road ucas, bilstein shocks, and 35 inch tires. Ever since then I have had a low speed clunking noise when thing down a gravel road. Don't notice it at high speeds. I've had it back to the shop that done the work and I've been under the truck a couple times myself and can't find anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue after a level kit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Start with tightening up you sway bar end links. Tighten them to the point you see the rubber bushings swell and you also feel some good resistance. Shops that put on leveling kits are notorious for not sufficiently tightening sway bar end links. Next is to make sure your idler arm has not failed. Mine failed the first time at 7,000 miles with stock size tires. Failed the second time only a few weeks after I put on 35 inch tires. I put on Kryptonite‘s pitman and idler arm and never had another problem. They are a totally different design with encapsulated sealed bearings, not more ball-stud junk from GM and MOOG. The easy way to tell if your idler arm (or pitman) has failed is lift one front tire off of the ground by lifting under the lower control arm. Then grab the tire at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock and try hard to push in on one side and pull out on the other side. You should get no movement. If you do, have a buddy do this while you are underneath watching where the movement is at. Every time my Idler broke it was at the main housing that bolts to the frame. Lastly, it could be the infamous intermediate steering arm. This one you will feel only in you steering wheel going down a washboard road or thru dips. Dorman makes a superior design if that is it. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts