Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the shocks on my 2002 Suburban, 1500, 4wd, 5.3 flex fuel, without smooth ride option. Is it recommended to replace springs at the same time as shocks, or should the springs be ok?
What is a good replacement shock? I know there are only about 3 shock manufacturers, but 5 trillion different companies selling them, so it's hard to figure out which is which. I've been looking at OE Delco replacements, Monroe Sensa-Ride, and a couple others that run around the $40 range. Any others I should be looking at? Trying to keep it around or under $200 for all 4.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I put the Monroe's on my 02 Tahoe when it needed shocks and I was very happy with it for the 6 months I had it after that. No need to replace the springs unless they are sagging.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you remember which one it was? There is the gas magnum, Sensa-trac light truck, reflex light truck, reflex mono-tube.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Ley me log into my NAPA account and see if its still in there. Its been a while.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
They were the sensa tracks. Part number 37181 for the front and the rears are not listed any more.

I would also look at the rancho 5000 they are about the same price. I went with the sensa tracks because they were in stock and I would have had to pay freight to get the ranchos up here and that gets expensive.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. O'Reilly's keeps the Sensa-tracs in stock at $45 a piece. They are on Amazon for $39 and Rock Auto for $34.
Was there any special tools or tricks for replacing these, or is it a pretty straight forward swap?

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
They bolt right in. Only thing that can be a pain in the ass is getting the top nut off the fronts if they want to spin. Shoot them with some PB blaster and have a vice grips handy. Other than that as long as you don't have the auto level crap then your good.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal, thanks.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Go to Eshocks.com and get Bilstiens should be about 260 delivered. The extra money will be well woth it. Not that tough to replace. Do the the PB Blaster the day before.

Avalon

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll look into it. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts